Super Contributor

Is David Yurman Jewelry still popular?

For years, David Yurman was one of the most popular jewelry designer around.  Everyone either had a piece or two or wanted to own a Yurman piece.  I really don't see many people wearing his jewelry these days.  The young people all wanted to own a piece and would ask for a Yurman ring or bracelet for special occasions.  There doesn't seem to be interest in this jewelry anymore.  Is this line popular with any of you?  Do you notice many people wearing it?

Valued Contributor

Re: Is David Yurman Jewelry still popular?

Classic jewelry to me has nothing to with trend. Buy what you like. David Yurman jewelry to me is classic it does not go out of style. I have two twisted cuff bracelets that with go with all my other jewelry. Other classic to my opinion are Barry Cord, John Hardy,Bixby,,James Avery,and King baby. I love seeing jewelry that not a trend or a moment,but a jewelry style that's a life time.As such,I still occasionally see young and old  wearing Yurman's or a darn good copy.Smiley Very Happy

Honored Contributor

Yurman is classic and will never go out of style.  There are a lot of copycats/possible protégés out there....

Where have you gone, Joe DiMaggio? A nation turns its lonely eyes to you.... ~ S & G
Respected Contributor

Still is, although general interest to any jewelry went down. Too many new designers.... I gifted DY to my family members but never liked it enough for myself.

Honored Contributor

I think, like many things, people like the look but not the price. There are SO many knock-offs that are silver and with gem stones but much cheaper so people buy those. 

What I smile about are those who buy the knock-offs, love the style and then say "Oh, I don't like the style of DY". Then why are you wearing that bracelet ring that is an exact COPY of his design?

Because they have no clue who he is. And that's the point....people are looking at the PRICE not the name and don't know the history about the design. Among younger consumers, names don't impress them.

There's an interesting article about Tiffany's and how they are addressing this issue (which, IMHO, is going to ruin the brand in the long run).

Respected Contributor

I see Yurman jewelry as classic and wear mine all the time. I still see other professionals wearing it. I like to mix gold with my Yurman pieces, so it definitely works for me.

If my dog doesn't like you, neither do I.
Honored Contributor

I have been getting it for gifts for 20 years and I wear it most of the time.  It is so well made and wears great.  Most of my pieces still look new, even the ones I waer all the time!  I don't buy costume jewelry because I find I don't wear it, but will wear athe DY instead.  If you factor it out to price per wearing, it is a great investment.

And the cost goes down several times a week!  LOL!!!

Trusted Contributor

DY is definitely classic to my way of thinking, but since it is almost always silver, I've never bought it.

Honored Contributor

@SahmIam wrote:

I think, like many things, people like the look but not the price. There are SO many knock-offs that are silver and with gem stones but much cheaper so people buy those. 

What I smile about are those who buy the knock-offs, love the style and then say "Oh, I don't like the style of DY". Then why are you wearing that bracelet ring that is an exact COPY of his design?

Because they have no clue who he is. And that's the point....people are looking at the PRICE not the name and don't know the history about the design. Among younger consumers, names don't impress them.

There's an interesting article about Tiffany's and how they are addressing this issue (which, IMHO, is going to ruin the brand in the long run).

@SahmIam

When was this written?   Do you have a link by any chance?   

Honored Contributor

@Kcubed wrote:

For years, David Yurman was one of the most popular jewelry designer around.  Everyone either had a piece or two or wanted to own a Yurman piece.  I really don't see many people wearing his jewelry these days.  The young people all wanted to own a piece and would ask for a Yurman ring or bracelet for special occasions.  There doesn't seem to be interest in this jewelry anymore.  Is this line popular with any of you?  Do you notice many people wearing it?

@Kcubed

When did "the young people" all want David Yurman?  I find young people to be only moderately interested in designer names ... at best.