Honored Contributor

How do you find someone to appraise your jewelry?

and who do you use as a rule to do that? A jeweler? Who do you sell it to?

Thanks.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: How do you find someone to appraise your jewelry?

You can go to a reputable jewellery store in your area.  Most of them have gemologists able to give you an appraisal.  Make sure you know and trust the place you are dealing with.  Get an estimate before you make arrangements so the price is not a surprise.  Only those certified gemologists or goldsmiths can do appraisals.  HTH.  LM

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Word of advice...NEVER let your pieces lose your sight! Always have them where you can see them. Don't let them take your pieces in the "back room" and tell you they will have it appraised for you later. Unless you know for sure about their reputation or you know them personally, don't trust anyone.

Honored Contributor

@SilleeMeeI understand what you're afraid of, but if I don't trust the jeweler not to steal myitems, then I wouldn't trust the appraisal to be worth much at all!

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I would call your insurance company or a few agents within your company.   They more than likely see the same few jewelers names on the appraisals brought in by clients so will feel comfortable referring them to you.  

Always make sure the appraiser is a GIA graduate and if they do this job in house..   Appraisals are expensive, so once you get a list of a few to choose from, call and ask what they charge for the appraisals. There could be a big price difference between stores.  

You may want to ask if you could get a discount if you bring more than one item in. Some will if you ask.

I have seen people bring in a jewelry box of things to appraise all at once and then have to wait for a month to have them all appraised as they are time consuming.  If this is what you are planning to do, I would advise against doing this.  Take a few at a time.

If you have inexpensive jewelry you are trying to sell, a written appraisal is not what you're looking for.  They are used for insurance purposes mostly and are what the item would cost to replace if lost or stolen, not what you can sell the item for.

Honored Contributor

And don't expect the appraised price to be what you can actually sell the piece for.

Contributor

If you go to Pricescope's website, they have a link under the "resources" section which will help you find an accredited appraiser near where you live.  

Honored Contributor

Depending on the item, an appraisal should only take a few minutes, unless it's a one of a kind type of item and the appraiser needs to research.

Make an appointment ahead of time and you can stay with your piece during the appraisal.    If you ask for one in writing, you will be charged a small percentage of the value.

Try to have as much information as possible on the piece with you when to go, like age, original sale or something like that to help the appraiser if it is something other than a gold ring or bracelet.

I've had many pieces appraised, I've never left the item with anyone.

@millieshops wrote:

@SilleeMeeI understand what you're afraid of, but if I don't trust the jeweler not to steal myitems, then I wouldn't trust the appraisal to be worth much at all!

Esteemed Contributor

To be honest, I have never had or heard of a jeweller do an appraisal in front of you.  I take my fine jewelry to a place where I have bought jewelry for decades.  If I didn't have a relationship with them, I probably wouldn't take them there.  I am perfectly happy to leave the items.  LM

Honored Contributor

Appraised jewelry, unfortunately usually sells for around 50% of the value.  It is a "used" item.