Super Contributor

Re: How do we really know that Sleeping Beauty mine is closed?

On 7/7/2014 ennui1 said:
On 7/7/2014 Haca said:
On 7/7/2014 ennui1 said:

There are three hours of turquoise scheduled for Gem Day. I expect it will be mostly SB.

When and what is "Gem" Day? I do not follow the programs religiously. TIA

QVC's Gem Day is July 16. Twenty-four hours of jewelry, usually very expensive.

Thank you, Ennui. I may give Amber and Turquoise a look see. Definitely will skip black spinel. Smile

Valued Contributor

On 7/6/2014 kachina624 said:

Jettsmom made me think of my own dad. He was living with me when he died in 2009. One day he came out of his room with a ring and bolo in hand and asked me if I would have any use for them. Of course I said yes. I had a sizing band put on the ring to make it smaller and was able to manipulate the bolo and make a pendant from it. I just got it and some others out to photograph and show you all. I found I could get good pic with no reflection on the patio.

The ring on the thumb is my prized Lander Blue which truly is the most expensive turquoise found in the US. Google it and read about it. The index finger is new #8 Mine or what I call the Appaloosa stone. The middle finger ring was mom's made by our favorite silversmith. I have other pieces made of the same stone including a tufa-carved cuff bracelet. It's Nevada varicite from the Blue Boy Mine. Note how different it is from the clear lime stone QVC sells. I searched for years before finding a reference to the mine. The last ring is dad's and is Morenci turquoise also done by George Henriquez. Any questions?

photo imagejpg1-2.jpg

I"M DROOLING OVER THESE RINGS! What a gorgeous collection! It really shows the diversity just within turquoise. You've got something for every mood. And what memories associated with them, too. I'd be hard pressed to pick a favorite. Thank you for sharing the photo.

Honored Contributor

Haca, I bought the Lander Blue from an old guy in Gallup, sort of a local character from what I understand. Before I bought it I checked him out with some miners on another board who know him. He didn't seem to be greatly beloved but they conceded that he's honest and could very well have acquired the Lander. He use to have a plane and flew all over collecting turquoise which he cuts and polishes. He gave me a certificate of authenticity with the ring. I've bought other stones from him, then he had rings made by a Navajo for which he charged me about $25. I always let the silversmith design the ring; I just request simple because to me, it's all about the stone.

Ennui, Yes Morenci is my favorite. I just love that pure aqua color and I like the pyrite in it. All of these stones look so much more vibrant in person. My favorite ring is the big Morenci of which I posted the picture last week. Here. The tan spots are gold metallic pyrite. Of course the white is a reflection.

photo d20e7bc2-bfe5-4429-8677-187936e52d2a.jpg
New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

By the way, one of the most reliable sources of turquoise of all types, including a lot of Royston, is the Durango Silver Company in Durango, Co. Put it on your list of resources. Their prices are high but they carry some really fine stones including stuff you can't find elsewhere.
Super Contributor

On 7/7/2014 kachina624 said: By the way, one of the most reliable sources of turquoise of all types, including a lot of Royston, is the Durango Silver Company in Durango, Co. Put it on your list of resources. Their prices are high but they carry some really fine stones including stuff you can't find elsewhere.

I've looked at that site several times, and they have a mailing list. They only send out emails a couple of times in a year, and it's nice to not be bombarded daily.

It says "win free jewelry," but I've never won anything. {#emotions_dlg.laugh}

Super Contributor

Thank you, Kachina, for the "Lander" story and the Durango Silver Co. info. I started looking at some of their jewelry. Wow! When I have free time I know what I'll be doing, lol. Just beautiful. I loved the Scorpian pin (November girl) but it is out of stock. Wonder what they charged for that one?? Anyway, lots of cabs to research, etc.

Meanwhile I'll take a picture of my little strand to post. Maybe you can make sense of the types of stones. So far I have been unable to post my own photos. But there is hope for me, yet. I normally don't have a problem on any other site but this one.

Honored Contributor

Haca, are you posting from an iPad? Just last week learned how to post pics using iPad. On a computer, I alway upload my photos to Photobucket, the copy and paste from there.
Super Contributor

I post from my phone very often when I'm working outside (master gardener stuff). I am a whiz on my little iPhone and ok with Facebook, email, etc. I have a tablet but it is still in the box. Lol my old trusty Sony laptop is fine even with the ancient Vista program. Do I have to use "photo bucket?" I have a windows photo program that had serves me well except when I try to insert a photo to the Q's board.
Super Contributor

On 7/7/2014 Haca said: Do I have to use "photo bucket?" I have a windows photo program that had serves me well except when I try to insert a photo to the Q's board.

For me, I can simply copy / paste photos from other websites, but I need to use photobucket.com for personal photos.

Super Contributor

On 7/7/2014 ennui1 said:

For me, I can simply copy / paste photos from other websites, but I need to use photobucket.com for personal photos.

Thanks, Ennui. I do the same with photos from other websites but it's the personal stuff that is giving me a headache. I believe that my space is limited to download the photobucket program on my ancient computer and my iPhone. I need to upgrade the systems but I don't have enough space and the provider is asking for more $$. I know the problem, I have too many high resolution images and videos on my phone and laptop which I need to download to an external hard drive. (That takes forever!!!) I'll give it another try. I am very loyal to my electronics, lol. A computer geek neighbor just shakes his head. He replaces everything frequently.