Esteemed Contributor

Re: How did QVC Jewelry Lose Your Business, and How Can They Get It Back?

Back in the "good old days" I purchased many lovely pieces in 14K, 18K and a few pieces in Platinum! The sterling pieces were quality, classic and durable.

I haven't touched anything since QVC has stopped making solid gold pieces. The carved out rings appear cheap on TV and I'm sure are uncomfortable to wear. They are not made to last a lifetime.

Even my favorite line, Eterna Gold, has decreased in quality and solid, durable classic pieces. That was the biggest disappointment! Loved their jewelry! Delighted to have such a large collection of both white and yellow 14K Eterna pieces which are rotated and worn daily. Grateful to have gifted many pieces to friends and family when Leach and Garner was providing high-quality jewelry through QVC on frequent shows.

RLM used to have some lovely pieces. Now? He's working with bronze. Not for me.

Carolyn Pollack has some nice pieces. How many pieces of Southwestern jewelry does one need? I have four or five and seldom wear them. When I do, the compliments are amazing! But they are so heavy. I do watch her shows. Sorry to see the bronze being included on her pieces. Sterling is so refined. Not a fan of cheap look of bronze, which is apparently to appear as 14K.

Today's shows with mystery metals, bronze, "bronzo" and weird stuff inside the 14K or simply covering a metal with a layer of 14K is not my idea of quality jewelry. It's tacky, cheap and causes allergic reactions!

Miss the days when QVC had QUALITY. So much has changed within the company. Unfortunately not in a positive manner. I don't watch much QVC - the hosts, products, service are not up to customers expectations.  

Look at prices of gold, silver and platinum each morning. All are much LOWER than when many of us were purchasing our 14K and 18K jewelry from QVC 15-25 years ago. Why use the excuse of the price of gold? It was much higher at that time! Seems the Q has become VERY GREEDY.

Money screams; wealth whispers.
Valued Contributor

Lack of affordable variety, especially no longer offering great and affordable artisan crafted sterling silver.  Also, no variety in affordable vendors, like Lee Sands, Joseph Esposito, Orit Schatzman, etc.  Obviously they could not help loosing the lovely Nolan Miller line, but surely there is a comparable line out there with a good on-air presenter.  No variety; no affordability.

Esteemed Contributor

I agree with the OP.  

I'm never going to purchase bronze or Diamonique.  Over the years there have been a few Ripka pieces that I loved in terms of design, but I don't want Diamonique, so I passed.  I'd rather have plain silver or simple gem stones than the faux stones.

I did take a chance with the Steel by Design line, but was disappointed.  The steel parts were nice, but the leather was cheap.  I had a bracelet replaced because the leather frayed and broke, but the replacement did the same.  I have other leather pieces, and none of them deteriorated like the QVC pieces I purchased.

In order for me to purchase more jewelry from QVC, it would have to be set in silver, gold, or platinum (with no fillers or overlays) and no simulated stones.  I don't mind paying higher prices if it's quality and comparable to other retailers.  Easy pay is something I would use for a substantial piece, so I would hope they offer that payment plan.

Trusted Contributor

I still buy the occasional piece of jewelry for myself.  I can only wear gold or I have a very bad reaction.  I don't care for mystery metals anyway.  Never got into the whole bronzo thing and I won't buy brass either.  I love the way silver looks, but can't wear it and don't want to deal with upkeep either.  I would love for the offerings to be more substantial and to come with proper wrappings.  I hate if I buy a gift I have to go to Michael's and buy a proper box for gifting.  As for myself, I also take advantage of the "as is" and take my chances.  I've lucked out a couple times.  I just ordered a ring for myself for my birthday - hope I luck out again and it's a winner.  

I have often said on these boards that the Q when presenting diamonds needs to tell us what color grade the diamonds are and not just call them "near" colorless - that encompasses too much.  Evine presents diamond jewelry properly by disclosing all the information, but most of the vendors are way out of my $$$ league.

Respected Contributor

Lighting the weight of settings and hollow chain jewelry.  Plating gold different colors, remember the purple, green, blue brown chains and earrings? PVC and silicone filled omega chains followed with silicone filled rings and pendants.  The silicone/pvc without marking the jewelry as filled was the end of the line with me and QVC.

Esteemed Contributor

@Q4u wrote:

Clarification - I found even some of the all silver items to be filled with some kind of alloy because of the reaction I had (not the 14k... those were just too expensive and too fragile for the money). 

@Q4u Most Silver that is made into jewelry has an alloy.  Pure Silver which is .999 can not be used to fashion jewelry as it is too soft.  The same with Gold.  You simply can't wear these items.  The alloys are standard and there are no mysteries when it comes to karatage of Gold and Silver.  14K gold is 57% gold and other part alloy.  18kt gold is 75% pure gold and 25% alloy.  24kt gold is pure gold but extremely soft for jewelry however, usually the market for this is the Far East.

There are a lot of people who can't wear silver and gold for the reasons you mentioned, you just can't wear it.  There was a jewelry line here called Ultra Fine.  If they have it, that might be better for you (maybe).  It supposedly has a different alloy combination to keep the jewelry from tarnishing and it is more hyp allergenic.

*Call Tyrone*
Esteemed Contributor

It started in 2009 when gold prices rose and QVC decided in their infinite wisdom to cheapen or thin down their gold to barely the width of a thread and changed the same prices.  the gold wire wrapped semi precious stones for big bucks was also a no go. 

Ridiculous prices for silver jewelry with diamonique sold by Judith Ripka is also a turn off.

Keep Your Face To The Sunshine and You Will Not See The Shadow
Honored Contributor

@MyGirlsMom wrote:

It started in 2009 when gold prices rose and QVC decided in their infinite wisdom to cheapen or thin down their gold to barely the width of a thread and changed the same prices.  the gold wire wrapped semi precious stones for big bucks was also a no go. 

Ridiculous prices for silver jewelry with diamonique sold by Judith Ripka is also a turn off.

Don't get me started on Judith Ripka, Cheap over priced! Junk! 😒
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I still enjoy QVC jewelry and still buy it.  Due to price points probably not as much as I used to.  But if I want something new, I still look at QVC's selection.  I am big into more simplistic clothing styles that I change up continually with jewelry and other accessories.

A hint QVC:  You need to provide tracking numbers with your expensive jewelry.  You recently shipped my expensive Ripka tassel necklace without a tracking number.  In order to receive the tracking number, I either have to call Customer Service or send an email. Tracking number is a minimal service for a mail order or online business. Your competitor's all provide tracking numbers.

Honored Contributor

If I saw something I wanted, I'd buy it.  But,  I haven't seen anything.  

Besides ... I've been having fun making some of my own earrings and necklaces.