Honored Contributor

How did QVC Jewelry Lose Your Business, and How Can They Get It Back?

For me it was the "fake" jewelry, meaing bronze and whatever.  Jewelry to me has always meant real gold or real silver, and that's what I buy, period.  I think this is one of the reasons Lisa Robertson left, she had to flog that stuff to death.  And since I was so turned off I didn't even watch the lines I liked, like Carolyn Pollack and Or Paz.  I have nothing against fashion or costume jewelry.  What I object to is some sort of metal being touted as in the same league as gold or silver.  I plan to give them another chance and I'll see what happens.  One suggestion, go out on a limb occasionally style wise and don't be so conservative. 

Honored Contributor

Re: How did QVC Jewelry Lose Your Business, and How Can They Get It Back?

A lot of what is featured comes damaged ....lack of quality control. I was looking forward to a gold necklace recently and it was damaged right out of the baggie they sent it in. Their cheaply put together cardboard boxes and ugly baggie they put it in, leaves me cold.

Regular Contributor

That's when I stopped buying jewelry from QVC, when they went into ALL the mystery metals including "bronzo".  IMHO if you buy bronzo you're a bozo!  If they really wanted some of us back let designers like Robert Lee Morris go back to using REAL sterling silver and not mixing it with bronze!

Respected Contributor

i just have too much Jewelry after buying for years and years.  I can't imagine needing another piece.  I have a great collection and wear it everyday but how much does one really need?

Honored Contributor

I typically only buy Carolyn P or Hagit G.  Actually, I wish they'd give half of JR's slots to these to.  But, of course, it's not my call.  Just my preference.

Esteemed Contributor

Everything just became so pricey that just picking up a pretty piece on impulse as a treat was no longer possible. What I did buy was just too flimsy to keep. Floss-like chains, earring posts that were so thin they broke off, bracelets with 10 grams of 14K gold, etc. 

And, they stopped offering really special deals such as the sets of silver chains they used to have. 

Fortēs fortūna adjuvat
Honored Contributor

I don't subscribe to a definition of "fake" jewelry, it's all about what you like to wear and will pay.  Donna Karan came out with a gorgeous line of leather and wood necklaces (unfortunately not in my price range) that I love.  Bronze, sterling, gold, etc.  -- I can like it all -- but sadly not most of the designs [and prices] on QVC.

I think their branding by price is extremely off-putting.  There are several lines that I feel are ridiculously marked up simply because you are paying for the name alone.  In addition, the onslaught of crystals and diamonique on everything is a huge turn-off for me.  Don't get me started on those chunky statement necklaces. 

I totally agree with you about the designs -  go out on a limb with something fresh QVC.   Variety!

Esteemed Contributor

@Trinity11

Let me chime in here and agree that the lack of care in packaging jewelry is a true turn off.

I want the experience to be luxe from start to finish. I want to open a carefull packed package and then a velvet, hinged box, and be dazzled at what I just bought. I want the "fine jewely" experience I just paid for.

Pulling a clumped-up, $400.00 necklace out of a baggy stuffed into a crappy cardboard box is just not the experience I'm after!

Fortēs fortūna adjuvat
Honored Contributor

My DH calls me the Canary in the Mine Shaft because of sensitivities I have, being alergic to mystery metals is one of them.  Even with ultra-thick "real" coatings, my skin reacts to ANY item that has a preponderence of alloys, including bronze and "jeweler's metals".  So I switched to all silver years ago when I found the 14k items too expensive and even found those to be filled with jeweler's metal/alloy because of the reaction it gives to my skin.  

So I've slowly backed off a lot of the Designer jewelry (RLM, Dawkins, Ripka) because of that.  Still love Carolyn Pollack but won't buy anything with Bronze in or on it...

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Honored Contributor

@gardensla wrote:

@Trinity11

Let me chime in here and agree that the lack of care in packaging jewelry is a true turn off.

I want the experience to be luxe from start to finish. I want to open a carefull packed package and then a velvet, hinged box, and be dazzled at what I just bought. I want the "fine jewely" experience I just paid for.

Pulling a clumped-up, $400.00 necklace out of a baggy stuffed into a crappy cardboard box is just not the experience I'm after!

Exactly and if you are purchasing a gift for someone, it is embarassing to give it to the recipient.