Respected Contributor

Has anyone bought Moissanite from JTV?

Saw a beautiful pair of studs!

Honored Contributor

Re: Has anyone bought Moissanite from JTV?

@ellaphant wrote:

Saw a beautiful pair of studs!

I have been looking, however I have been looking at the liquidation channel too.  I really want to try one piece to see it in person.  I am looking at rings.  I don't want to spend too much, I want to see if I like it first.  If you purchase a piece please post what you think. Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

Be careful when buying Moissanite.   I've been told there are different grades and I'm sure the shopping channels have the lowest since they traditionally do everything on the cheap.   It makes a huge difference in the color of the stone. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

I have purchased moissanite earrings from JTV.  I bought them in 14k and they were good quality then, several years ago.   I have no idea what the quality is in silver or clad.   The caution I'd offer you is that everything I've ever purchased from JTV comes with loose stones.  I'd recommend having the prongs checked.  

I decided that it's not worth buying moissanite from JTV.  I found their quality was close but not as good as buying from Evine or moissaniteco.  In fact, my most recent purchases were from moissaniteco.  They made 14k leverback and stud styles for me in rose gold and didn't charge extra for it.  Their service is excellent!

Respected Contributor

I have no personal experience,  but from what I have been reading over time,  you need to be concerned about the color of the moissanite,  as some of it is more yellow or green.  Also, don't ignore the setting.... cheaper settings make the item look less attractive.   Also, the cheaper the setting,  the less likely it is that the stone quality will not be what you want. 

Esteemed Contributor

I have a pair of Moissanite hoops and they are beautiful.  Smaller stones but really sparkly.  I think the part that goes through your ear is larger than usual.  Mine are platineve but have held up.  I don't wear them everyday.

Super Contributor

Never buy one. Besides is a synthetic stone; however,  there is a natural moissanite, but is very rare to find one.

If there is a good quality stone that have sparkle, there is rock quartz. Moissante will be a good alternative if you want to take care of your natural gemstones, in case of robbery.

Trusted Contributor

@ellaphant

I saw the same program you were watching Smiley Happy

I never heard of the stone until I saw it the other night on JTV.  Beautiful...and I saw the studs you are talking about!

Did you buy anything? 

Honored Contributor

@Margui wrote:

Never buy one. Besides is a synthetic stone; however,  there is a natural moissanite, but is very rare to find one.

If there is a good quality stone that have sparkle, there is rock quartz. Moissante will be a good alternative if you want to take care of your natural gemstones, in case of robbery.

The only natural stone that exists is not  Moissanite but rather the meteorite from which the formula for it was derived.  I'm pretty sure it's not for sale.  It's made by Charles & Colvard who hold the patent on it.   They have an online store and I'm sure would be glad to answer questions. 

There are many stones that have more sparkle than quartz. The current favorite with a high refractive index is zircon.  I won't buy colored gemstones set with white topaz as accents because they just don't sparkle and sure don't look like diamonds. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

I will take moissanite over diamonds any day of the week.  I have a number of pieces, some as old as 20 years.  They are all in 14k and sparkle like nothing else.  No one can tell they aren't diamonds.   

Some people say there is a yellowish or greenish tint to the stones.  None of mine have any tint.

Moissanite is a million times better than cz or any quartz.  CZ is flat and blah and I can spot it a mile away.  Moissanite is gorgeous!  

Just buy from a retailer who offers quality stones.