Honored Contributor

I love the Q's gold watches, but, the way they make the back to replace the battery is a nightmare. There's no place to get into it. Jewelers won't touch it for fear of scratching the gold or cracking the crystal.

I went 8 places Mon. none would touch it half of these people couldn't figure out how to get the back off without a slot to apply a tool.

I finally found a man who knew his stuff and had the confidence to work on it took 10 min. and charged me 8. One fancy place said they would have to mail it off to New York.

I have 2, so , hope, this one man stays in business. LOL

Respected Contributor

sharke:  I've heard of others having the same problem as you did.   But it's not just with gold watches.  I have a stainless steel watch that I had a problem with.  It was an expensive and very thin case.  4 jewelers tried and couldn't get the back off.   I took it to a watchmaker.... took him all of 3 seconds,  no problems.  Now I take all my watches to him.

There are a lot of people out there who change batteries.  They have varying degrees of skills and often don't have the proper tools or even the proper batteries.  My friends have had watches that they were told needed new movements,  when in fact the problem was that a tiny part flew out of the case when the battery was changed and was never replaced.  My watchmaker found the problem in a minute.... very inexpensive repair compared to a new movement.

Honored Contributor

I was met with some rude people mad because I didn't buy it from them and one rude clerk told me to take it to Battery Joe's !!!!!!   I told Ms. Priss to her face "I paid 350 for this GOLD watch and I'll be da*8*ed if I would take it to a hack at Battery Joe's who would use a screw driver to dig into it". sheesh

The ignorance of people today is overwhelming.

People at the Mall stood there and looked at it like a chimp and couldn't figure out how to get back off and didn't want to chance harming it for fear I'd raise compensation issues.

These jewelers are so d*mn greedy and snooty. This little guy in a small shop with a cat said "they have no confidence in their ability" got out what looked like a twisted eyebrow tweezer and went under it without marring the gold or hurting the top.  Taught me a lesson forget the pricey, glitzy places seek out a old experienced person who knows his stuff.

Vicenze could put in a little place though shouldn't be that big of a deal.

I know it's not a Rolex, but, to me a gold watch is an investment.

Respected Contributor

LavJ. is correct.

I don't ever take my good watches to Wal-Mart or a kiosk in the mall. Even retail chain jewelry may not have the tools. And they can be really rude to boot. Bad for them.

Usually, a good jeweler will do it for you because they want  your business. No, it's not necessarily cheap. I take my really good watches to Tourneau, because they handle the finest timepieces and it being NYC, they can acquire good watchmakers. I am not always happy with the sizing, but they are busy. And knowing that (and me,) the store has thrown in free battery changes and sizings from time to time. Depending on the watch, I may spend $15 to $25 for each watch.

$350 isn't much for a gold watch. (Even though that is a chunk of money for a lot of people)  Q made it as cheaply as possible. You get what you pay for.

I wouldn't buy Q's gold watches, because I don't think they are water resistant. Also not a good sign.

Honored Contributor

It's not solid gold, no, that would be in the thousands. I had a gold watch once the band and everything, but, I pawned it because I couldn't see the numbers any more in my later yrs. LOL

I like the Q watches because they have big numbers and gold around the face and gold letters. Very pretty just wish they would make a spot to pop the back. LOL

What's so funny is this one 'glitzy snob place' changed it for me 1 time for 25 and this old guy did it for 8.

Honored Contributor

I'm not one who changes my watch very often.  I have one I wear for every day and one for dress.  They are both Citizen Eco-drive watches that  never need a battery.  I like not having to worry about batteries.

Honored Contributor

My husband would like that.