Trusted Contributor

Re: Getting a new wedding ring

@petepetey wrote:

I'm very sentimental but I think after 25 years it might be time to re-design my wedding ring.

I have 2- 1 carat diamonds, one is on my wedding ring and the other is set in a ring that I wear on occasion.

My thought is a 3 stone band ring, getting perhaps a CZ to fill in for the 3rd stone. I don't really care if the stone is real or not, so I'm ok with this thought.

Would it be too big to have a 3 stone ring with each stone being 1 carat?  

@petepetey I've redone my wedding ring several times in the last 32 years.  In the beginning I had it designed by a jeweler, it was just what I wanted  Over the years, I had countless giftcards to a very famous jeweler in our area.  I redid my set when I had sufficient $$ to make the change sensible.  I'm extremely happy with it now and don't see myself changing it again.

This process isn't for everyone, I know people keep the original ring and never, ever take it off.  Each of us have our own way.

I don't believe having 3 - 1 carat stones in a band will be too big. MO  It depends if you want something larger than you have right now.  If you have a ring with a single carat size stone in it, put it on with your current ring set and see what you think.  Or go to a jewelry store and try on a ring with 3 - 1 carat size stones.  Just a thought.

Respected Contributor

Many years ago I got tired of the plain band on my wedding ring which had my engagement diamond.

Just changing the band gave it a whole new lookimage.jpeg

We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give.
Sir Winston Churchill
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I am really sentimental.  My engagement ring is 44 years old and my wedding ring is 43 years old.  

I have had the prongs serviced a few times, but would never consider replacing or upgrading my wedding set.  The are a sign of my husband's love and fidelity.  No other rings will do.

My huusband bought me a 1ct 5 stone anniversary band.  I wear this in addition to my original set.

i can understand the concept of replacing your rings that aren't lost.  But, I don't fault anyone who does.  We are all different.  Enjoy your new rings,

Honored Contributor

My DH bought me a garnet and diamond rt hand ring which I wear every day. Garnet is my birthstone and I love this ring as well as my wedding set. I can't comprehend not wearing either one, and I think my DH would be insulted if I told him I wanted a bigger diamond. Those rings symbolize a promise between us. I just can't imagine getting a different one. 

Actually - when DH & I got married my grandfather - who was a jewelery designer - had the set he had bought my grandmother for their 50th reset in a tiffany bridge for me to get married with.We used it for the ceremony to please him but the ring is large and just too much for me and my everyday life. Since grandpa died the ring has been in our safety deposit box. Before the wedding DH had the priest bless the rings that were made from his Mom's set and that is the ring set I have always worn for the past 34 years.

Trusted Contributor

@petepetey wrote:

I'm very sentimental but I think after 25 years it might be time to re-design my wedding ring.

I have 2- 1 carat diamonds, one is on my wedding ring and the other is set in a ring that I wear on occasion.

My thought is a 3 stone band ring, getting perhaps a CZ to fill in for the 3rd stone. I don't really care if the stone is real or not, so I'm ok with this thought.

Would it be too borig to have a 3 stone ring with each stone being 1 carat?  

What is your Husbands Birthday ?  or the month you where married ?  You could add a third stone like a emerald, sapphire or ruby.

Trusted Contributor

@petepetey wrote:

One of my GF's buys up every 5 years.  She has a truly dazzling wedding set.  I can't remember the band much less the engagement ring too.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@petepetey wrote:

Not too big at all.  I would consider a sapphire in the midddle, too.  I wore a cz for 18 months before I sold my old QVC jewelry and bought a one carat diamond.  Not sure anyone could tell the difference.  That being said, CZs get dirtier faster than real diamonds.  You could also do a bypass design. 

Honored Contributor

Just remember that there are different qualities to CZs.  I have quite a few Diamonique (told the "highest quality CZ in the land) and I have to clean them far more often than my diamond.  It's not that the CZ gets dirtier than my diamonds, but it seems to get "cloudy" and to remove that cloud, I have to clean the ring often.  My diamonds don't do this.

One of the loveliest rings I've ever seen was designed by my friend (who passed away last Feb).... she designed a thick swirl ring in 14k gold and had two large chocolate diamonds at two of the swirl points and about  3 smaller chocolate diamonds randomly set.  That was her wedding ring and it was stunning~!   

Good luck, I'm sure whatever you decide, it will be positively gorgeous!  Woman LOL

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Super Contributor

I would never put a CZ in with 2 one carat diamonds. 

Esteemed Contributor

@carlycat wrote:

I would never put a CZ in with 2 one carat diamonds. 

How right you are!!!