Esteemed Contributor

As far as gemstone shows from 1990's- 2000's  were boring designs in my opinion as compared to other shopping  channels offerings  . The gold shows and Honora pearls atleast  did offer some varied designs

Respected Contributor

@Carmie wrote:

All jewelry is expensive, even costume jewelry is selling for hundreds.

You are not only paying for the metal and gems, but for the designer, the stone setter and metal work.

I wanted to reset a diamond that I already own and the setting in white 14k I like is $1200, plus I would have to pay to have the stone set.  My ring is size 5, so not a ton of gold.

Those days of affordable gems are long gone.

I would look for second hand items on e-bay and antique stores for better deals.  Many sellers of jewelry on e-bay are reputable jewelry stores who sell on line as well as in their brick and mortar stores.

@Carmie that is a great suggestion to look for better deals at antique stores and ebay.  I've been selling jewelry on ebay for 27 years and there are lots of reputable jewelry dealers.  

Honored Contributor

@NYCLatinaMe   I obviously did not make my point clear.   I personally have never bought jewelry except to wear.  Lots of days now that I live in the Florida heat, I don't wear any jewelry.  That has made it easy for me to stop buying new and to sell for its silver or gold value anything in need of repair or that I haven't been tempted to try on for a year.

Whether I'm listening to QVC, HSN, or a local jewelry store worker, I hear "This will become a family heirloom."  Not in my family, so I'm free to keep what I want personally, to offer it to friends or donate it local charity thrifts I want to support. 

Esteemed Contributor

@Carmie  My favorite 14k huggie earrings broke and I looked around to replace them and all were $200 on up

I checked eBay found a pair for $149 or best offer. I offered $100 and I get my earrings soon. 

IMG_8876.jpeg

Regular Contributor
Yes. Why do the hosts push hundreds and thousands of dollar pieces like they were 25.00 dollars. Seriously, there are some that could afford it but the majority of us can't. Too many diamond pieces. I wouldn't have any gemstones if I didn't buy several years ago when they had 1 hr shows for peridot,topaz, etc. I sure wish the Q would listen to us.
Honored Contributor

I used to love those gem shows that specialized on one gem.  Ginger quartz?  I revered it like diamonds.  They introduced me to stones I never thought I would buy, like peridot.  I learned my birthstone, blue topaz, was heat treated.  On and on, I now have about 250 rings, most from QVC and other channels.  

Trusted Contributor

Re: Gem Days Then and Now

[ Edited ]

I love Gem  & Jewelry Days too.  I also remember the shows when 1 gemstone was featured with many beautiful pieces both in gold and silver with a variety of pricepoints.  That's what was missing yesterday - a variety of pricepoints featuring gemstones. Most items were very pricey featuring diamond designs.  There were silver pieces and some gold without gems as well but yesterday's focus was defintely diamonds over and over.

Remember gem shows that featured a pretty piece and something that coordinated with it  - say a ring and earrings - and there was a discount if you bought the suite?  Not only is that not offered anymore but at yesterday's  prices I honestly can't imagine people bought more than one of anything.

Respected Contributor

@just wonder  I miss those affordable gem days too.  I look at a lot of the presentations of beautiful, super expensive exotic gems on QVC and think, "Wow- I'd have to open a Q card financing plan just to get that!"  I watched a presentation last night for a byzantine bracelet that was almost $1900- beautiful, but too expensive for my current budget.  I miss the days when QVC hosts would go to Italy and film on location to present Italian Gold jewelry. 

My technique  for getting beautiful gemstone 14 karat gold jewelry is going to my trusted local pawn shop- I have beautiful antique gold gemstone rings that I got for $300 or less since I have a small ring size and he can't easily find customers to fit those pieces and he's known me for almost a decade now so he likes to brighten my day with a discount.  I can't afford Tiffany's or Cartier, but I have one of a kind antique pieces that I really treasure that I got a nice deal on.  Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor

@timeless  "I recently heard that pawn shops are seeing lots of jewelry coming in.  I don't care if someone has worn a piece before me as long as it's in good condition, so I'll be looking there."

I absolutely love my local pawn shop and I've purchased some really beautiful antique 14 karat gold and gemstone pieces at truly great deals.  I highly recommend pawn shops.  My pawn shop that I go to has Black Friday, 4th of July and Valentine's Day sales that sweeten the deals even more.  My most recent purchase is a 14 karat antique gold jade ring that was hand made and hand set from the late 1800's for $238- my ring size is a 4.5 and the owner was thrilled that it fit me and I love that piece very much.    Smiley Happy 

Honored Contributor

There were 2 men (one was Steve C. and another-a big guy) that did a lot of jewelry shows. Their presentations were informative. Can't remember their names,sorry.

I bought the blue topaz apricot seed ring from Steve. Also learned a lot about art deco.

'cuz every girl's crazy 'bout a sharp dressed man