Trusted Contributor

Re: Do you have a pretty good knowledge of gemstones?

I used to think I knew quite a bit about gemstones--then I started reading this forum.  Holy cats, some of the posters here could write a book!  The ladies who so generously share their knowledge about gemstones and jewelry have added a great deal to my education.  So I learned two things: (1) I'm a big gemstone dummy and (2) I can remedy that by reading these forums.

Respected Contributor

@VegasBusinessWoman wrote:

I used to think I knew quite a bit about gemstones--then I started reading this forum.  Holy cats, some of the posters here could write a book!  The ladies who so generously share their knowledge about gemstones and jewelry have added a great deal to my education.  So I learned two things: (1) I'm a big gemstone dummy and (2) I can remedy that by reading these forums.

I agree with you VBW.  There are plenty of places to shop for the good stuff if others tell you where they are finding it.  Love women who share their fishing hole.. Smiley Very Happy

Respected Contributor

If anyone is interested in learning a lot about gemstones, check for Gem and Mineral clubs/societies in your city. 

Honored Contributor

OK, thanks all. Listen, watch and learn, my pleasure! LOL

Esteemed Contributor

I love gemstone and have acquired a nice collection over the years. I have learned quite a bit between Google, QVC, HSN and various jewlers.  I would be happy to answer questions if I can. I know what you mean about it's always so much better to talk to someone who has the stone. It 's the missing piece to all the research data that you can find.     

Honored Contributor

I think selling stuff on Ebay pretty much would qualify you to get into Tucson.  At least that's what one guy from whom I buy pre-owned jewelry does.  He also specializes in mineral specimens.  I haunt jewelry channels, the big three, JTV, Rocks, Gem Shopping Network, and Liquidation Channel.  What this has taught me is the sky is the limit with markup.  The trick is to learn which stones justify that huge markup, and which ones don't. Sure beats watching the news all day. 

Respected Contributor

Well, I know diamonds.

For other gemstones -  everything I learned from Michael Valituti.

-Texas Hill Country-
Valued Contributor

@qualitygal  I hold a gemological degree from the GIA and have an extensive knowledge of gems, gem treatments, and precious metals/alloys, etc.  So feel free to ask away!  Robot Happy

Honored Contributor

@AliJoi5, great, thank you. One question I do have, is if gems and other stones are treated, how long does that (those) treatments last? I know I have some CZ's (about 2) that seem cloudy at times. I want to keep them all looking like new. Any suggestions?

2) What is the gemstone that is at the top of the list of gemstones we are able to buy, is it Morganite, or Moisenite? (sp). I think Morganite is a true not man made stone, correct?

Thanks again Ali.

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

Hi QualityGal!  I love your questions.  Ok, to answer your first one, it will depend heavily on the treatment and the type of stone itself.  Actually, if you want to just give me the stone name (and its color), I may be able to tell you the treatment and its durability.  CZ's, since they're manmade, aren't treated the way natural stones are.  So you need not worry about preserving their color or clarity.  My guess is that you really need to get under the stone and clean it well with a soft toothbrush and mild dishwashing liquid (like Dawn).  Often times what we think is cloudiness within the stone is actually schmutz clinging to the underside of the gem (skin oils, lotions, etc.). 

Yes, morganite is a natural stone (of the beryl family... which also includes emerald and aquamarine).  It is almost always heated to improve its color (to dissipate the orange and improve the pink), and sometimes even irradiated.  Personally, I love the more orangey-pink tones!  Moissanite is indeed a manmade (synthetic) stone.

Anymore?  Fire away!  I love these sorts of chats.  Lets me put my education to work.  Smiley Very Happy

ETA: I should have elaborated on this in my first paragraph.  Different treatments applied to different gems have varying degrees of permanency.  So that's why we would need to know the gem and the treatment to give an answer.  But sometimes if we just know the gem and its color, I can figure out the treatment, because certain gems do not occur naturally in a given color and other gems are always treated to improve/change/create their color and/or improve clarity.  HTH!