Honored Contributor

Re: Do You Have Any Moonstone?

@ECBG wrote:

I am just drawn to the transluence of moonstone!  Everytime I go to my favorite boutique, I wish my standing jewelry amoire had expandle sides!  LOL!

I did get mu DIL a beautifup pyrite (fool's gold) teardrop pendant for Christmas.

I have a moonstone necklace.  I bought it locally, I believe it is a rainbow moonstone.  I love it.  I do get compliments on it.  I am going to purchase more.  Not much locally I will probably have to purchase on line. 

Honored Contributor

I love moonstones.  I do have some - found a lovely very old fashioned sterling link bracelet whereby the links are oval moonstones.  Found this piece at an antique show many many years ago.  I have earrings and a ring too.  Moonstones have always been a fav of mine.

Honored Contributor

I have several moonstone pieces - earrings, ring, pendant, necklace. It's not that easy to find a good quality stone. Much of what is available inexpensively is not good quality at all, and the really excellent quality is set in 14K and/or with diamonds. I'd be happy with in between - *good* quality set in sterling. I'm very picky about what I buy.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

About 10 years ago,  I bought a lot of jewelry from Je  Gems in Bangkok.   This included earrings and pendant in rainbow moonstone.   I've never seen such blue moonstone; it's gorgeous.   It almost looks like Swiss blue topaz but with chatoyancy (sp?).   They carried some gorgeous jewelry before metal prices went up.   Then they got cheap like everyone else. 

Their website still has the best-looking affordable moonstones I've seen online anywhere. I go there to drool periodically.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Honored Contributor

I have a small scale moonstone in white gold ring I bought in the 70's for the princely sum of $200.00, good money back then.  Now my taste is a bit flashier and I don't wear it.  But its nice history.  DD can sell it "later." 

Honored Contributor

I actually bought my first two pieces today. A pair of earrings and a pendant from a vendor at a craft show I went to. I was going to get just the earrings but couldn't resist the pendant. 

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Trusted Contributor

I too adore and love the beauty of moonstone. The higher grade AAA moonstone include colors of blue and are indeed my favorite. I have a pendant and a ring, but still keeping my eyes open for better quality pieces.

Esteemed Contributor

@SANNA wrote:

@Kachina624 wrote:

About 10 years ago,  I bought a lot of jewelry from Je  Gems in Bangkok.   This included earrings and pendant in rainbow moonstone.   I've never seen such blue moonstone; it's gorgeous.   It almost looks like Swiss blue topaz but with chatoyancy (sp?).   They carried some gorgeous jewelry before metal prices went up.   Then they got cheap like everyone else. 

I have a blue moonstone ring from India, cabochon , 15 mm diameter. Very nice stone.It is said to be very lucky and therapeutic.

The effect is called adularesence, that travelling blue sheen.... Chatoyancy is a tiger eye and cats eye effect, I think. Learning from Michael V.....

@SANNA you just told me in another thread there were no blue stones.  What's up with that?  Is your moonstone blue or not?

*Call Tyrone*
Respected Contributor

@itiswhatitis wrote:

@SANNA wrote:

@Kachina624 wrote:

I have a blue moonstone ring from India, cabochon , 15 mm diameter. Very nice stone.It is said to be very lucky and therapeutic.

The effect is called adularesence, that travelling blue sheen.... Chatoyancy is a tiger eye and cats eye effect, I think. Learning from Michael V.....

@SANNA you just told me in another thread there were no blue stones.  What's up with that?  Is your moonstone blue or not?

I told you in that post that Michael's Blue topazes are not blue by nature, but made blue by heating, coating and radiation. There are natural blue topazes but they are rare and cost a lot. We were talking about color treatment, remember????

Now, when it comes to the moonstones they are all natural and have a variety of colors, including a blue moon stones. Ideally they are clear of inclusions and have a distinct blue sheen of travelling color( adularesence). My stone is blue but has an internal milkiness and a crack. Therefore, mine is not valuable.

but again, moonstones are not color treated.

Please read some gemological books, they are fascinating! 

Frequent Contributor

I'm a sucker for it as well as it's close friend Labradorite... I keep saying no more, then comes along another beauty.

I have very high end fancy pieces and everyday boho pieces and evertyhing inbetween. I have to make an effort to give my other gems play time or they get stuck in the box!