Honored Contributor

Re: Cleaning sterling silver jewelry w/wo gemstones at home

@Ainhisg --I do like that jewelry keeper--but I would need many, many, MANY--- to use for my collection and that price is not in my budget at all. 

Honored Contributor

@Ainhisg wrote:

@Sooner , this is it, right?

Screen Shot 2024-03-16 at 1.49.26 PM.png

@Ainhisg Yes!  That's it!  I use the one in the blue bottle on silver too, and the spray Hagerty if I am in a hurry on something food isn't in. But this is the one I really trust. Rinse well!  

Honored Contributor

Buy you some jewelry cleaning cloths, keep them  dirty,do not wash,my husband was a jeweler, and yes they have special ultra sonic cleaners they use.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

I live in Seattle area, and twice a year my silver gets tarnished badly, no matter how it is kept.

I don't like rhodium plated silver, so I use polishing cloths, cream, soap to clean it and brighten up. David Yurman pieces do not really get darker, same as Pandora jewelry.

The one's than get darker is Jai, and Bixby. Jai oxidized so bad, more so if it is a bracelet. I keep wondering if they use different silver for bracelets. 

There is no issue to clean blue topaz, citrine and or amethyst. The problem is opaque stones.

I am not sure if he meant rhodium under protective layer? I really dislike the shiny finish on silver pieces. But some people like it. 

Yurman provides polishing cloth with purchase, so no issue sot use it with his pieces.

Honored Contributor

@Ainhisg   I used to make and sell silver jewelry with and without gem stones. The best way to clean the stones (not opals or pearls) is with a bit of amonia mixed with water and a small brush and rinse. Siver areas are best cleaned with a "sunshine cloth" treated with a chemical that takes off tarnish. They're available at jewelry stores.

Esteemed Contributor

@alice87 I agree with you about Bixby's pieces and the level of tarnish! I have 2 rings that have a lot of nooks and crannies so to speak and boy did they ever tarnish and are a bear to clean.  I have a polishing cloth and that helped clean some of it off but not all. i tried dipping it in the cleaner that JTV sells and that didn't IMO do much for it. 

I guess I'll keep rubbing it.

Honored Contributor

@wagirl wrote:

If there is a protective coating on silver, why does it tarnish?? Never heard that before. I use a soft toothbrush,  dip it water and then in silver cleaner liquid and brush around the gemstones then rinse. I also use a polishing cloth and have the strips too, but don't put anything in baggies. I mostly have silver--one thing I would never use is steam or a cleaning machine for any jewelry.

@wagirl 

Silver which has been plated (w/rhodium/platinum) or coated with something (varnish) to help prevent tarnish doesn't always keep it tarnish-free especially if the plating/coating is inferior or if it has worn off.

Honored Contributor

I worked in fine jewelry after I left Dillards for sciatic nerve issues.

Most gem stones can't be soaked unless it's a prong set ring with precious stones; semi precious stones, esp opals are porous.

I have a jewelry amoir;  I keep often worn er's on an antique jewelry tray between silver polishing cloths.

Honored Contributor

@Ainhisg wrote:

@Sooner can you use that foam on jewelry that has gemstones?  I know not to use cleaners on soft stones like opals, lapis, onyx, etc.  I wonder about blue topaz, peridot, citrine, and so forth.  Any idea?

@Ainhisg 

Onyx is a hard stone on the Moh's scale of hardness.

Respected Contributor

@ECBG Im confused, as I've read it is soft and porous?

IMG_1893.jpeg