Honored Contributor

Re: Cleaning sterling silver jewelry w/wo gemstones at home

@Ainhisg wrote:

@Sooner can you use that foam on jewelry that has gemstones?  I know not to use cleaners on soft stones like opals, lapis, onyx, etc.  I wonder about blue topaz, peridot, citrine, and so forth.  Any idea?

@Ainhisg I have used it on blue topaz, peridot, etc. without harm.  Opals?  Not100 percent sure but I think if you quickly cleaned and rinsed the piece it would be fine, not soaking or scrubbing with something that might scratch the opal.  I have never had Hagerty Silver Foam IN THE WHITE JAR be hard on anything.

Respected Contributor

@Sooner , this is it, right?

Screen Shot 2024-03-16 at 1.49.26 PM.png

Respected Contributor

The tarnishing is why I don't buy sterling silver---. I love gemstones can't clean the item without damage.

I've tried wrapping in Saran Wrap--that does prevent tarnish, tarnish proof liners, bags etc. Even my 10 k tarnishes terribly.

14k less so, 18k almost no tarnish---my dil wears exclusively Indian jewelry 22k---no tarnish.

Honored Contributor

I just use a polishing cloth.  All of my Sapphire/ruby are set in 18K white or platinum. None are in yellow gold.  Since 18K has rhodium plating I don't dare put it in water.  It will wear away the plating.  I just use the cloth.  They look fine.  The only Jewelry I put in water is 18K yellow gold and platinum.  If I had my way, i would eliminate silver and only wear platinum.  I could swim or shower in it and won't affect it. 

Honored Contributor

I have several anti-tarnish jewelry boxes. I never have to clean my silver. I just clean the stones in the appropriate manner depending on the stone.

Respected Contributor

I rarely purchase silver jewelry because of the tarnishing.  I noticed on some websites Argentium silver is mentioned.  I guess it's suppost to be less prone to tarnish? 

Honored Contributor

The only silver I wear is Ultrafine.  For the tarnishing business, I hate Sterling. It's a mess to clean. 

Respected Contributor

@SilleeMee what boxes do you have?  I looked online yesterday and noticed ShopLC has a lot at good prices, and they all say anti-tarnish.  I wonder if they really are.  I also saw where Coleen Lopez (HSN) has some jewelry trays that are anti-tarnish, but by the time you add shipping and tax, you're look at a hundred dollar bill.  Maybe that's what a good box will cost?

Honored Contributor

@Ainhisg wrote:

@SilleeMee what boxes do you have?  I looked online yesterday and noticed ShopLC has a lot at good prices, and they all say anti-tarnish.  I wonder if they really are.  I also saw where Coleen Lopez (HSN) has some jewelry trays that are anti-tarnish, but by the time you add shipping and tax, you're look at a hundred dollar bill.  Maybe that's what a good box will cost?

@Ainhisg 

I've had Colleen's boxes for ages and they still keep my silver tarnish-free. Also own a couple of SLC's anti-tarnish boxes for a couple of years and they seem to be working fine. 

Honored Contributor

If there is a protective coating on silver, why does it tarnish?? Never heard that before. I use a soft toothbrush,  dip it water and then in silver cleaner liquid and brush around the gemstones then rinse. I also use a polishing cloth and have the strips too, but don't put anything in baggies. I mostly have silver--one thing I would never use is steam or a cleaning machine for any jewelry.