Respected Contributor

Cleaning sterling silver jewelry w/wo gemstones at home

How do you safely clean sterling silver jewelry with and without gemstones at home?  I took several sterling silver/gemstone tennis bracelets to a jeweler to clean and asked him.  He didn't really have any advice, because he said he has special machines he uses to do it to remove the tarnish without affecting the gemstones.  He cautioned me against using the dips and the silver cleaning cloths (guilty of both), because he said they often remove a protective coating on the silver that retards tarnish.  Too late for several of my pieces now, and I am so mad at myself.

I've seen online to store silver in plastic bags so that air can't get to them causing tarnish, but he made an offhand comment about not sealing them up and that he has special bags that he uses, but that they are expensive.  I feel like other than taking pieces to him to clean, I don't know how to clean them at home or even really preserve them between cleanings.

I think there is someone on our boards who is a gemologist or maybe jewelry store owner...maybe @rockygems123 ?  Does anyone have any advice?  Thank you for all responses!

Honored Contributor

Re: Cleaning sterling silver jewelry w/wo gemstones at home

@Ainhisg 

Good question!   I'll also be interested to see what suggestions you'll receive.  

Honored Contributor

Use a soft brush (very soft) and clean with Hagerty Silver foam.  It works great. Rinse well. Yes store silver in a silver cloth and a plastic zip lock bag, or use a sealing container and silver anti-tarnish strips.

My jeweler always uses polish cloths to buff up my Yurman jewelry and I don't think he's  casual about care.  One thing, if  the piece has black areas for emphasis don't scrub them away with the brush.  

Honored Contributor

I store in Ziploc bags and add a couple of the little anti tarnish squares, get them on Amazon or Ebay. 

Respected Contributor

@Sooner can you use that foam on jewelry that has gemstones?  I know not to use cleaners on soft stones like opals, lapis, onyx, etc.  I wonder about blue topaz, peridot, citrine, and so forth.  Any idea?

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Ainhisg wrote:

How do you safely clean sterling silver jewelry with and without gemstones at home?  I took several sterling silver/gemstone tennis bracelets to a jeweler to clean and asked him.  He didn't really have any advice, because he said he has special machines he uses to do it to remove the tarnish without affecting the gemstones.  He cautioned me against using the dips and the silver cleaning cloths (guilty of both), because he said they often remove a protective coating on the silver that retards tarnish.  Too late for several of my pieces now, and I am so mad at myself.

I've seen online to store silver in plastic bags so that air can't get to them causing tarnish, but he made an offhand comment about not sealing them up and that he has special bags that he uses, but that they are expensive.  I feel like other than taking pieces to him to clean, I don't know how to clean them at home or even really preserve them between cleanings.

I think there is someone on our boards who is a gemologist or maybe jewelry store owner...maybe @rockygems123 ?  Does anyone have any advice?  Thank you for all responses!

@Ainhisg 

It really depends on the piece.  If you don't want to lose the patina but remove heavy tarnish on Native American / Southwestern / Mexican pieces you can remove a lot of tarnish by just rubbing them with your fingers.  Usually removal of all patina devalues the piece and can be lower the value significantly.  

Polishing cloths like Fabulustre are good, Sunshine cloths can be harsh but ok on stubborn tarnish. 

I don't like dips or creams either because of the reason your jeweler stated.

My personal sterling stays pretty much the same and doesn't build up a lot of tarnish, I keep in a large stand up jewelry furniture piece. 

My work inventory jewelry pieces don't stay around too long, if they need a clean up I use a cloth.

Respected Contributor

@rockygems123 thank you.  This is the polishing cloth I have.  I didn't know there were other brands.  Is it bad for my silver, and should I just pitch it?  

Screen Shot 2024-03-16 at 1.28.18 PM.png

Respected Contributor

@Ainhisg    After my silver was clean, I used to store certain large cuffs by themselves in a ziplock bag with several pieces of chalk inside.  I once read this is basically the same concept as tarnish free jewelry boxes for silver.  It works too.😃

Respected Contributor

@Ainhisg wrote:

@rockygems123 thank you.  This is the polishing cloth I have.  I didn't know there were other brands.  Is it bad for my silver, and should I just pitch it?  

Screen Shot 2024-03-16 at 1.28.18 PM.png

@Ainhisg 

That should be just fine!  I've used their liquid jewelry cleaning jar for my fine jewelry for years.  

Respected Contributor

I am so glad I started this thread.  What do you guys think about this Hagerty anti-tarnish jewelry storage hanging pouch?  There are pouches on both sides of the inner lining, and the inner lining is made from anti-tarnish material.  

Screen Shot 2024-03-16 at 1.39.19 PM.png