Super Contributor

I prefer the richer deeper shade of African amethyst. I also think that Uruguayan amethyst is gorgeous too. Both types have the magenta coming out of it. I do like Brazilian but it seems to me that it's much lighter (not that there's anything wrong with that!). I do LOVE the pink amethyst that comes out of Brazil. It looks SO much like kunzite.

We all have two lives. The second begins when you realize you only have one - Confucius
Trusted Contributor
On 2/3/2014 ennui1 said:

Which is better, African or Brazilian? I remember those shows with Kathy Levine, when the Brazilian amethysts would fly out the door and the shows would end early.

Until I read these posts and the links (thanks, ladies!!) I didn't know there ws a difference. Beloved Spouse gave me a HUGE (maybe 30 carat) amethyst pendant as a gift a few years ago that blew away any other pieces I had. It is an emerald cut and is the deepest, clearest, most striking stone I have ever seen. After reading all this information I now understand what a great gift it was!

Super Contributor
On 2/3/2014 Jersey Born said:

It is Tanzanian amy and the number is one three seven-six eight nine. While I am not a big fan of his settings, I sure do love his gemstones.

What is the color shift? Purple and ... ?

Guessing from the current price, it will be over $300?

Respected Contributor

Hi, Ennui. As the last garnet TTV ring was discounted by ~30%, I think that this new amy ring might go for ~$299. Of course, I could be completely wrong on that. We will have to wait and see unless anyone else here has seen or heard about the price.

ETA: I think the color shift will be purple and blue, but I could be wrong about that, too! LOL.

Super Contributor
On 2/4/2014 Jersey Born said:

Hi, Ennui. As the last garnet TTV ring was discounted by ~30%, I think that this new amy ring might go for ~$299. Of course, I could be completely wrong on that. We will have to wait and see unless anyone else here has seen or heard about the price.

ETA: I think the color shift will be purple and blue, but I could be wrong about that, too! LOL.

I'll be surprised if it goes that low; maybe $329, that's my guess.

But I will be sure to surround myself with amethysts I already own before I tune in. Wink

Super Contributor

It's amethyst day over on the Liquidation Channel. Some pretty items, some not-so-pretty. Be careful of the platinum-plated brass and stainless steel chains.

And, remember, radiant orchid is the color of the year.

Contributor
I think it was maybe 5 or 6 years ago, The Q offered a pear shaped ring in amethyst and also in citrine, small diamonds around each large stone. I don't remember if it was African or Brazilian, I think Brazialian. Anyway, every time I think about that ring I get so annoyed I didn't order it. It was really pretty. As I remember it the reviews were fairly good with the exception that the ring was somewhat top heavy, so it need to fit very snug so it would not slide on the finger. I can still see that ring on Leah's long fingers... City
Super Contributor
On 2/5/2014 Citychic said: I think it was maybe 5 or 6 years ago, The Q offered a pear shaped ring in amethyst and also in citrine, small diamonds around each large stone.

I remember that ... there were matching pendants, too. The diamonds stuck out, very pokey.

Valitutti just previewed that amethyst ring ...

Respected Contributor
I have a beautiful 14 carat amethyst my mother got me in Brazil. It's a beautiful color.
( \_/ )
(='x'=)
( " )_( " )
Super Contributor
On 2/4/2014 Jersey Born said:

Hi, Ennui. As the last garnet TTV ring was discounted by ~30%, I think that this new amy ring might go for ~$299.

$348. {#emotions_dlg.sad}