Frequent Contributor

Why do the earrings that cost over $1000 and look like great investment pieces not have screw backs? They've got clutch backs; that's really cheesy. My diamond studs have screw backs; so, they won't come out.

Honored Contributor

Re: Affinity Diamond Earrings

@artycatAre screwbacks all that common?   I have one pair of screwbacks, but those backs are on some costume jewelry from my college days --early 1960's.  Nothing else has them, none of my diamonds, none of my gold.

Respected Contributor

I agree, stupid. All my diamond earrings (none purchased from home shopping) have screw backs. 

Respected Contributor

My diamond earrings (not purchased from a shopping channel) do have clutch backs.  But there's a little indent they catch on that keeps them from sliding off.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@RedConvertibleGirl wrote:

My diamond earrings (not purchased from a shopping channel) do have clutch backs.  But there's a little indent they catch on that keeps them from sliding off.

My diamond studs have 2 notches.  They've never gotten loose, the clutch back stays in the notch.  

Respected Contributor

They do it for 2 reasons.... screw backs are more expensive to manufacture and because not everyone likes screw backs on earrings and they want to appeal to the biggest market.

My diamond stud earrings, purchased years ago,  had screw backs.  They chewed up my ears.  I recently had them coverted to a smooth post with regular clutch backs.  I investigated special backs that have extra safety features,  but found they were too small for me to handle. (These backs were expensive,  but that would not have stopped me.)  To prevent loss,  I chose a very large clutch back.   Finally I can wear my studs again.

Frequent Contributor

I like the security of screw backs. But I guess it is a case of appealing to more folks. Thanks

Occasional Contributor

Years ago I had a pair of white gold diamond screw back earrings.  I got rid of them as soon as I could because the screw threads on the posts made my ears sore and weepy.