Honored Contributor

925 marking on a piece of "gold"

There is a thread up right now titled Shocked. That lady has an 18K piece that is not testing 18K at her jewelers. That got me looking at the gold ring I chose to wear today, a 14K Greek Key ring I got on the sponge docks in Tarpon Springs, Florida, about 10-15 years ago. This was a gold shop that gets its jewelry directly from Greece and its still up on the internet, Goldfingers. It is your standard Greek Key design with a sizing bar on the back. So, I get out my loupe, look at the back, and its stamped 925. My experience tells me this appears to be 14K, not plated silver. I paid $100.00 for the ring, and the current prices seem very cheap, $140.00 for a similar ring. 22K gold is 91.3 % gold, so that's not my answer. Can anyone help?

Re: 925 marking on a piece of "gold"

I have a white gold necklace and bracelet that are stamped 925 and the jeweler told me it wasn't gold it was silver and I said no it isn't it is gold, they told me it was gold when I purchased it, so he acid tested it and said, it is gold. I was always told that 925 means silver, but it is gold.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Either it was incorrectly stamped by the manufacturer or the tester didn't scratch though the plating.  If it is gold I would have the stamp ground and replaced with the accurate karat.

Most jeweler a who create jewelry have this ability.

Esteemed Contributor
Highlighted
Respected Contributor

You can believe it's real gold if you want but .925 clearly means that it's silver and it's been bonded with gold.  High quality bonding as it's done today; does not scratch off, flake off, rub off etc.  I'm sure a jeweler can test it for you. 

Esteemed Contributor

Some are selling gold plating over silver.  Wonder if some are not disclosing it as such.

Trusted Contributor

acid test would be the best way of determining if it is gold-plated.