Respected Contributor

Re: "Retro" Bedspreads? Me too!

I also suggest you look online at VERMONT COUNTRY STORE.  They specialize in products from "days gone by."

Respected Contributor

I've found that down blankets by Northern Nights work really well as bedspreads. They're nicely made and lightweight: perfect for a summery look.

(But there are some with more wintry scenes as well: I will be buying a couple more!)

Trusted Contributor

I've purchased several very nice old bedspreads on Etsy that are in mint condition very reasonably priced.  Some are chenille and they don't shed like the new ones.  I love them.

Honored Contributor

@goldensrbest wrote:

What i remember about chenille bedspreads,was that the fuzz got on everything.

My chenille bedspread is 40 years old!  I think it has defuzzed itself by now. I dont use it anymore because we have a footboard on the bed now and I don't want to cut the corners.

Esteemed Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

Try the Linen Source Catalog. And online for chenille.  I noticed several in their most recent catalog.  Their merchandise is excellent quality.

Thanks for posting this!

The Linen Source website is great and the chenille bedspreads are reasonably priced ~ I've been wanting a chenille bedspread for a long time!  WHOOPIE

Honored Contributor

I also use bedspreads and, like you, have found that it's really difficult to find them - or at least any degree of selection.

I do bedspreads because I like having it go all the way to the floor around the 3 sides of the bed.

I have a queen-sized bed and I notice that a lot of what I find is full/queen.  Well, that just defeats the whole purpose because when I compare the measurements given to the measurements for my bed they are severely lacking.

Just a few months ago I was on the search for a new one and I ended up empty-handed.  Smiley Sad

Esteemed Contributor

@violann

Orvis carries "large seersucker" bedspreads in a variety of colors and strips.  You said "plisse" and I thought of the ones I've bought. 

In fact, I have a striped one on my king bed now.  But, I have a deep red solid for the winter.  And, I have a marigold color, turquoise and two stripes that I use on another bed.

They wash and wear wonderfully! 

My king bed is very high off the ground so it does not reach the floor, but it covers the sideboards. 

I love them. 

Type in "seersucker bedspread" and they'll pop up.

Honored Contributor

I think i need to resume my search for a new bedspread.   I appreciate the sites mentioned.

My problem is mainly the size.  For my bed, that isn't inordinately high, I just want it to go to or very near to the floor.  Additionally, one problem for me might be a color/pattern choice thing.  I don't care for florals or anything busy and my colors are basically black, burgundy, or peach.  I'd also go for an ivory.   I don't mind multi-color, but something subdued.  Maybe my preferences are probably outside of what most people like, though.  Smiley Happy

Esteemed Contributor

@chickenbutt

The ones I mentioned in my post  above (from Orvis) are very conservative. 

I know they carried a lovely peach color for a long time.

Like you, I don't want anything busy, so I stick with solids or stripes.

Honored Contributor

Thanks, WW!  I didn't see much at Orvis right now.

At 'Linen Source' I found one chenille one that interests me.  It's called Chic Chenille.   I'm not huge on chenille, but it's cotton and I DO like that.  Plus, I measured and it comes within the measurements that would work for my bed.

Now, to look for promo codes and maybe I'll get that one in the 'Rio Red'.  Based on the pics, on my monitor anyway, that looks like the burgundy color that matches my curtains in that room.