Respected Contributor

omg my cats have clawed all over my new rug!

Any way to get rid of the pieces of rug they have pulled up?? Aaaagh!

Honored Contributor

Re: omg my cats have clawed all over my new rug!

Vacuum cleaner, clip/trim their claws or take your cats to the vet to have their front claws removed.

All cats knead.

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Honored Contributor

I wonder if it would be possible to cut the pieces of rug they pulled up flush with the rug that isn't damaged.

Occasional Contributor

Mz iMac should have her fingers tips removed at the first nuckle.  Then she can suggest that the cats do the same thing - not before!

Honored Contributor

Do not, I repeat, do not remove their claws.  Would you want the top of your fingers cut off?  I doubt that you'd do that anyway, I just saw where someone suggested it.

Clip their claws.  If you have someone hold them in a towel and you clip their nails or take them somewhere, it would last weeks maybe even a month.  

When you see them scratching (that's not kneeding, that's scratching) use a squirt bottle filled with water.  Go up to them immediately (if you wait it does no good) yell,NO! and give a short squirt (not much with Winter on).

Go to Walmart, anywhere, Pet Store and get some of those rectangle cardboard things that are perforated for cat scratching, put some catnip over it and I guarantee your problems will be solved.  You might take a little work to break the scratching thing.  

Cats do kneed (that's what they do to get their mother's milk flowing and to calm themselves down) that is not the same thing as scratching/clawing.  

I have owned many, many cats over time.  That quirt bottle (tiny squirts of water right at the time) they don't like it and it won't hurt them, they will get the message.

Finally, if you are gone and they claw take some double sided tape and put it where they scratch.  It will irritate them (they'll stick to it).  Some people have used aluminum foil but that never worked for me.

Regular Contributor

Please don't declaw your cat !  It is so painful that some vets won't do it !  Look at the knuckle closet to your finger nail, now imagine someone chopping that off !  That's the pain. Either spritz them with water, or make the decision: nice house or cat.

Respected Contributor

@Mz iMac wrote:

Vacuum cleaner, clip/trim their claws or take your cats to the vet to have their front claws removed.

All cats knead.

NEVER DECLAW A CAT!!!!  You are actually amputating their toes, and there are many vets now that will not even perform the mutilation.

Esteemed Contributor

Do not declaw kitty. It's amputation of the toe. You can also try Soft Paws. They are tips that are like fake nails and are glued on their nails. A vet can show you or do it for you the first time. They last a few weeks and are cheaper than declawing. Most vets if they are worth their salt will not declaw. 

Honored Contributor

I know exactly what declawing involves.

I gave the OP options.  It is up to the OP on what they want to do.

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Esteemed Contributor

@baker wrote:

I wonder if it would be possible to cut the pieces of rug they pulled up flush with the rug that isn't damaged.

That would be my suggestion as well.