Super Contributor

how do I paint my stairwell?

I have a stairwell which is open to the second floor loft.  The loft is painted a dark mossy green.  I will be painting the first floor and stairwell a light teal blue.  Since one of  the loft walls come down the stairwell, how can I transition the two?  Even if I paint the entire stairwell the teal, there would still be an approximately 6 foot vertical line (from half wall in loft to ceiling upstairs).  This vertical line is not visible from the first floor.  I wish I knew how to post pictures.

Respected Contributor

Re: how do I paint my stairwell?

@lilypadfrog wrote:

I wish I knew how to post pictures.

Pictures would help!  I've never posted pictures,  but there is a icon/button at the top of the text box which should let you do that.... it's the third one from the right... if you hover over the icon/button, it says "insert/edit picture."  I'm going to try it now...

My Late boy Jake.  Miss him dearly.

It worked!  Just be sure that the file size isn't too big.

Honored Contributor

My signature is a link to a post full of tutorials and instructions, including how to post pictures.

Respected Contributor

You need carry one color over to a corner.  Don't change color midwall. That may mean you can see the "wrong" color in the "wrong" room.  That is why you should choose complementary colors.

-- pro-aging --

Rochester, New York
Trusted Contributor

Hard to tell without pictures but could you paint the transition wall...a different color so you have 3 colors...like a lighter version of the mossey green or teal....DW

Honored Contributor

When we lived in Pa we had a loft living room. When you came in the front door you were on a landing with steps up to the LR and down to the basement. Where there would normally be a wall along the stairs in the LR there was instead just a railing. I tried to think of a way to creatively paint that stairwell , but in the end it was best to just use one color for the LR and the stairwell from basement to the top.However, a good friend who is a designer told me to do a picture grouping at the top of the wall opposite the railing to break up it all being one same color. I put one large and 2 small pictures there  then I put a co ordinating one on the next wall and another coordinating one just around the corner. They were all in the exact same frames, the group were all ocean & ships and a seaport, the next wall was a ships captain's face and the third is ducks taking off to fly over the water. So all the same theme and all the same frames. Now  down here in Florida the whole group hangs over our sofa & end tables.

Honored Contributor

@lilypadfrog,

Maybe pick one of the following pictures that comes close, if any:

1-

images.jpg

2-

images (1).jpg

3-

images (2).jpg

4-

images (3).jpg

5-

images (4).jpg

Esteemed Contributor

@Peaches McPhee wrote:

You need carry one color over to a corner.  Don't change color midwall. That may mean you can see the "wrong" color in the "wrong" room.  That is why you should choose complementary colors.

I agree with this.  My house was professionally painted as part of our construction contract.  I descend the stairs to the walkout basement.  On the stairs facing down, the right wall and the wall directly in front of me are painted the living room (main floor) color and the third wall which starts on the landing as I turn the corner to the bottom floor is painted the downstairs family room color.  

I never thought about the transition at all.  The painters (who were amazing) knew exactly what to do.  LM

Honored Contributor

I agree with @Peaches McPhee...don't stop colors mid wall.

My sister in law did this in her kitchen/living room area.  It looked really odd.

The should have left that wall  the color of the wall in the living room that connected to the kitchen. (it was one long wall).

Sounds like an odd sentence, but I don't know who else to say it, lol!

Super Contributor

The picture on the right is standing in the loft looking down.  The picture on the left is at the top of the stairs looking down.  You can see that both walls are painted green from the same "family".  Now I want to change the lighter green to a soft teal.Thank you for the picture help.20170203_145534.jpg20170203_145440.jpg