Super Contributor

Re: are home carpet cleaners worth it?

I've had the small Bissell for years and love it, one of my best QVC purchases.

Frequent Contributor

Yes, they're worth it! Years ago, when I had carpet, I'd rent a Rug Doctor steam cleaner from the grocery store twice a year. Then one day I watched a local news story covering a heinous murder. The crime scene was a bloody mess, and right in the middle of all that was a Rug Doctor that the perpetrator had been using to clean up the evidence. I got to thinking about these rented carpet cleaners and their hoses and attachments and what people have used them for and how they're not disinfected when returned. {#emotions_dlg.scared} I bought my own carpet cleaner at that time and never regretted it.

Regular Contributor

I bought a full size Bissell about 10 or 11 years ago...before the smaller, lighter weight ones came on the market....it finally just died almost a year ago. Loved it...I can't wait until I can replace it. I never used carpet shampoos in mine though....I never used anything except Oxyclean powder and I put boiling water in my tank....I know the manufacturer recommends to never do that, but I did from the first day I used mine and it never hurt it or the tubing. Sometimes I'd add a little liquid fabric softener to the water and it would make the room smell so nice and fresh.

Super Contributor

I have a Hoover and I love it. It is about 8 years old.