Respected Contributor

Re: are home carpet cleaners worth it?

Have had a heavy duty upright steam cleaner for several years and I love it. It cleans beautifully, especially the beige carpet at our mountain place. One word of caution: if you have cleaned the second floor and are going down I carpeted stairs while wearing sneakers or running shoes, take them off. The soles will be slippery from the cleaning solution on the rug surface. I learned this the hard way when I slipped and fell down the stairs. The bruises have healed; thank goodness no bones were broken. Be careful!!!! HTH.
We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give.
Sir Winston Churchill
Trusted Contributor

We have one and LOVE it!!! It has paid for itself many times over. After having a baby (and one on the way!), we realized the significance of having one in our home at all times. It not only cleans rugs and carpets, but it cleans couches as well. It's just wonderful and I would highly recommend getting one.

We have a Bissell, although I can't think of the exact model right this second.

Honored Contributor

Many, years ago we purchased a professional carpet cleaner from Sam's Club. I used it all the time in my old home and for the past 17 years in my new home (well it was brand new 17 years ago!). I have very pale, light beige carpeting throughout. I also have 2 cats. And two growing boys (now grown and gone). This carpet cleaner has been a life saver! I can honestly say that my beige carpeting still looks brand new! When we sell our home in a few years I'm sure the clients walking through will be amazed. I shampoo our carpeting every year (every January) and its really paid off! {#emotions_dlg.thumbup}

"Pure Michigan"
Honored Contributor

On 1/21/2014 ID2 said:

Many, years ago we purchased a professional carpet cleaner from Sam's Club. I used it all the time in my old home and for the past 17 years in my new home (well it was brand new 17 years ago!). I have very pale, light beige carpeting throughout. I also have 2 cats. And two growing boys (now grown and gone). This carpet cleaner has been a life saver! I can honestly say that my beige carpeting still looks brand new! When we sell our home in a few years I'm sure the clients walking through will be amazed. I shampoo our carpeting every year (every January) and its really paid off! {#emotions_dlg.thumbup}

Wow.......it's almost miraculous that your carpeting has lasted that long. What type of composition is it.....wool, nylon......?

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Honored Contributor

On 1/21/2014 Grade1Teach said:

We have one and LOVE it!!! It has paid for itself many times over. After having a baby (and one on the way!), we realized the significance of having one in our home at all times. It not only cleans rugs and carpets, but it cleans couches as well. It's just wonderful and I would highly recommend getting one.

We have a Bissell, although I can't think of the exact model right this second.

Great point that I forgot to mention! Our Oreck has an attachment and hose so we can clean stairs, furniture and the car seats and floors as well. I clean my upholstered furniture every year too, as well as all the cars, so even more money saved!

Trusted Contributor

We have a Bissell home carpet cleaner and find it useful for periodic clean-ups. It helps us maintain our carpets in decent shape with less frequent professional cleanings. However, we still call in the professional cleaners every year or year and a half (or so) to do a deep steam cleaning and sanitizing. There's no substitute, IMO -- but the home cleaner enables us to call in the professionals less frequently, and we save significant money that way.

Respected Contributor

Home cleaners are definitely worth it for us. We have dogs and cats who have accidents. We have a Spot Bot and also the bigger Bissell rug cleaner and thank goodness we have them!

mm

"Cats are like potato chips, you can never have just one".
Honored Contributor

For me....I can't be without mine, my dog makes it a necessity, lol.

"To each their own, in all things".
Respected Contributor

I've been tempted to purchase the Bissell that QVC sells. It's the one that has the attachments to clean your sofa. I priced out getting my sofa cleaned by the guy who has been doing my carpets for years and it would be $300. He is the cheapest in my area. To clean my carpet(s) which is mostly around furniture and hallway (small if you ask me) it costs $80. I just got the Shark Sonic Duo and I'm very happy with it so far. It's for both carpet and hard wood floors. My carpet is very light in color and the hallway has a definite area of dirt from constant traffic and it worked wonderfully on it. It's not completely gone but it sure looks a lot better. Used it on a large water stain in my daughter's room and that's completely disappeared. Down the road, I see myself buying the Bissell. It will pay for itself in just a couple of uses.

Super Contributor

I agree with Retired...we also have the Bissel carpet cleaner. My husband loves it. It really does clean the carpets well and we like it because he can do a quick touch up on the carpet and its very easy to use and cleans extremely well. The best thing I would say unless you want to get a professional to come out and clean your carpets. I would highly reccommend any of the Bissel carpet cleaners.