Super Contributor

are home carpet cleaners worth it?

Now that we have two cats the carpets get a lot dirtier than with just two people. Rather than having a company come in every 3 months to clean I was thinking about getting a small Bissell, like the .5 gallon or 1 gallon versions. I need to watch the weight of the appliance since we have a two story home. Do they do a good job of cleaning or should I stick with hiring someone?

Super Contributor

Re: are home carpet cleaners worth it?

I have a two story home with all carpet on the second floor and stairs. I also have a small BIssell, maybe the half gallon size. It's great for small areas like pathways or pet spot, but I also have my carpet cleaned every 6 months. So the BIssell does help avoid a regular carpet cleaner as often as I used to have them come. One thing to check though... do you have a way to fill the tank upstairs? I have to carry the machine up then carry the filled tank up. They are very heavy together. Oh and very poor cleaner for stairs.
Honored Contributor

I really like having them. I have one full-size carpet cleaner. Now, do know that I'm generally NOT a fan of Hoover. But I have a Hoover All-Terrain that I've had for years now. It not only does a good job, but it is easy to clean the parts. It also does a great job of sukking the water/solution out of the carpet, so it dries quickly.

Before that I had a Bissell brand full-size carpet cleaner. I really didn't like it at all. It didn't sukk the water/soap out of the carpet hardly at all. It didn't clean as well. It took days for the carpet to dry. Furthermore, it was a major PITA to clean up the unit and its parts.

BUT, I have a Bissell Spot Bot that we got when the dog came and it has been invaluable. Love love love that little thing. It's so handy, it works well, and it's fairly easy to maintain and clean.

Super Contributor

I would never do it again. The one and only time I had Stanley Steamer come and steam clean my carpet, they ruined it, and after we spent the money, we ended up replacing it with a dark carpet that wouldn't show dirt with kids and dogs.

Respected Contributor

I'm not impressed with the big buys that clean a whole room or whatever. But I do have one of the small versions that spot clean - a Bissell - and I really enjoy that. It really comes in handy from time to time.

Trusted Contributor

I've had a Bissel Quick Steamer for almost 12 years. It's the perfect size. Easy to store and not heavy. IMHO anyone that can use a vacuum can use a Quick Steamer.

Respected Contributor

I have a Bissell lightweight cleaner that I've had for about 3 years. It was $89 from QVC. We have a large yellow lab (who drools and brings the outdoors in) and a granddaughter who loves to carry around her cups of juice. This little cleaner works like a charm. It doesn't put out too much water and it vacuums it up nicely. I just use really hot, clear water in mine. It's small and lightweight so I can get it out easily and clean up spills and spots before they get ground in.

We do have a wonderful man come in once a year and thoroughly steam the carpet. He doesn't use chemicals and the carpet looks brand new when he is done. I think the key is finding someone who has good references. This man was recommended by our vet.

I do think that I have more than gotten my monies worth with the little cleaner though, so I would have to say yes, they are worth it.

Honored Contributor

I have an Oreck steam cleaner, and I wouldn't be without it. We have a lot of carpeting, and some hardwood. We do not wear shoes in the house, have one teenager, and don't get a lot of company. We have a dog, who's feet get washed off when he comes in, and two cats, mostly inside.

I clean my carpets once a year, and the living room that gets most traffic, I do the high traffic spots maybe one other time. I have used professional cleaners, but they leave my carpets soaked (and I've tried several, even national chains) and won't waste my time or money on that again. I have used mine for over a decade, saved a ton of money, and I clean when and where I want, according to my needs.

Honored Contributor

I had an oreck for years. Something happened to it when I moved. I ended up replacing it with the small Bissell from the q. The oreck had a stair attachment, the Bissell does not. I wouldn't be without a machine.

Trusted Contributor

I have a Bissell and would not be without a carpet cleaner for home. Much more convenient to do it myself than to have someone come in and do it for me.