Honored Contributor

Re: ? about decorating choices.

[ Edited ]

It definitely depends on the house and it's structure and layout.

In more open concept homes, I think a common flooring, cabinetry, counter tops, and fixture metals seem a better choice, because you can see many areas from  any one given point in the home. Things need to flow more, and coordinate more, because of the openness of it all.

In what I consider a more traditional home, where your rooms are much more separate, and you have multiple floors (upstairs, downstairs, basement etc.), it is not necessary for those things to all match, because each room can be unique unto itself, as the configuration of walls and doors make it less likely one would see, say the upstairs bathroom and the kitchen together, or the guest room carpeting and the kitchen floor at the same time. 

I see some traditional homes with the same throughout philosophy and they look nice, clean and tied together, and in others, it just becomes plain boring. 

One of the perks of having a more traditional style home is being able to decorate different rooms in different colors, styles etc. and lend some variety to your living space.

I do believe in the end, it is mostly a personal choice. If having things all tied together makes you feel more calm and content with the look, that is what you should do. If you love some variety in your rooms, each having their own style, then mix it up. No really wrong answer, I think it is more about how your feel in your home, than what it looks like to others.

Honored Contributor

@Mominohio wrote:

It definitely depends on the house and it's structure and layout.

In more open concept homes, I think a common flooring, cabinetry, counter tops, and fixture metals seem a better choice, because you can see many areas from  any one given point in the home. Things need to flow more, and coordinate more, because of the openness of it all.

In what I consider a more traditional home, where your rooms are much more separate, and you have multiple floors (upstairs, downstairs, basement etc.), it is not necessary for those things to all match, because each room can be unique unto itself, as the configuration of walls and doors make it less likely one would see, say the upstairs bathroom and the kitchen together, or the guest room carpeting and the kitchen floor at the same time. 

I see some traditional homes with the same throughout philosophy and they look nice, clean and tied together, and in others, it just becomes plain boring. 

One of the perks of having a more traditional style home is being able to decorate different rooms in different colors, styles etc. and lend some variety to your living space.

I do believe in the end, it is mostly a personal choice. If having things all tied together makes you feel more calm and content with the look, that is what you should do. If you love some variety in your rooms, each having their own style, then mix it up. No really wrong answer, I think it is more about how your feel in your home, than what it looks like to others.

I agree 100%...The more open concept homes are more apt to do the total look throughout, whereas your 2 story and more traditional type homes can do either way........

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Mominohio  So would you buy a new home that is open concept - of course it is a newly built home - that had all these different floors and counters. I told DH they made me feel weird toward the house despite that overall it was a beautiful home, and he agreed. We are used to our current house where all the walls are the same color and all the counters are the same as well as the floors. These differences were a glaring design NO to us.

Honored Contributor

I would say it depends on the house design; whether it were an open concept or a house with many rooms.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I enjoy each individual room having its own personality.

So I would choose different flooring and different granite/other, in various colors, shades, and patterns.

I'm not a "matchy" person, and appreciate that homes have become more relaxed when it comes to that.

I also don't care how things appear to others, especially in these increasingly-judgemental times.

You can always tie a home together and create some flow with accents and decor in your favorite color(s).

Or by your overall decor style, i.e.: casual, global, etc..

Honored Contributor

@151949 wrote:

@Mominohio  So would you buy a new home that is open concept - of course it is a newly built home - that had all these different floors and counters. I told DH they made me feel weird toward the house despite that overall it was a beautiful home, and he agreed. We are used to our current house where all the walls are the same color and all the counters are the same as well as the floors. These differences were a glaring design NO to us.

@151949 I don't think I can honestly answer that without actually seeing it.

I'm not a fan of open concept homes in general, although I have been in a couple that were a mix of open concept and traditional. The kitchen/dining/ living room were all open, but bedrooms and baths were down a hall and more separate from the main living area, as well as each other. In that case, I'd only worry about the main living area things being consistent and alike. The other rooms could be different.

And new or pre owned, I've never really considered things like floor coverings, fixtures etc. as my main focus. It is always about location, age/style of the home (I love older homes, and I'd take one needing a lot of work over a brand new one with all the bells and whistles), and does it meet our current needs (like number of bedrooms, stairs or not etc). Flooring, fixtures etc can be changed if the price is right, and if the location, style, size etc. are right. 

Honored Contributor

Flooring would be the same but the countertops would be different.

Respected Contributor

My preference is to have the same flooring throughout the house - wood, laminate, tile, etc.  I do like carpeting in the bedrooms. 

All my bathrooms have the same vanities and the same countertops.  My kitchen is different. 

I like open concept best.   But even if your home isn't open concept, your house should have a flow to it.  That's my preference...

Honored Contributor

The salesman called this morning to ask if we were considering buying this home - it was the model and the last to be sold -  I told him no and that I really did not like having all different floors and granite everywhere. he said it was done because it's a model to show what was available. I said I could not even consider it unless they would put in new floors, and he said they may reduce the price but I still said no.

Esteemed Contributor

@151949 wrote:

The salesman called this morning to ask if we were considering buying this home - it was the model and the last to be sold -  I told him no and that I really did not like having all different floors and granite everywhere. he said it was done because it's a model to show what was available. I said I could not even consider it unless they would put in new floors, and he said they may reduce the price but I still said no.

I think you made a good decision. Why would anyone buy a new home and turn have to renovate. The only way would if they reduced the price so much it ended up being a steel. Knowing they would have to sell the house I think they made some stupid decisions.