Honored Contributor

If you were choosing flooring for a whole new house would you pick the same tile throughout or different tile in each room ? As a matter of fact - would you use a different granite pattern in each bathroom and the kitchen or keep oit the same throughout? 

We looked at a newly built home and they had different floor tile in each room, which looked bad to me in the doorways where the 2 tiles met and also in the rooms you could see in to from a different room. They also used different granite in each BR &the kitchen - and with the doors open you can see all three from the living room. The entire deal just looked off to me. 

Respected Contributor

Re: ? about decorating choices.

Flooring I would keep the same. Counter tops, not so sure. I think they could be similar if you did not want them to be the same. 

Esteemed Contributor

I would keep the flooring the same.

I would probably not want all the same granite or even the same cabinets in the kitchen and baths.  You can see the kitchen and all the baths from the LR???  Not sure I would want that!

Honored Contributor

I'd use the same floor tiles throughout the house, probably the granite in the kitchen would be different from what I used for the bathrooms. 

Trusted Contributor

Flooring should be the same color, if not the same flooring they should be the same color. It makes your home look bigger. Counter tops I don't know. I think I would like something special in the master bath.  That wouldn't work in the kitchen.

Respected Contributor

Go for flow throughout, but the specifics are totally dependent on your taste.  In this home, as throughout our marriage, we have wood floors everywhere, except for neutral tile in walkout level and baths. Cabinets are all white. Countertops are all Quartz in white and deep blue.

Honored Contributor

Same color flooring, but it wouldn't be tile.  I do the baths different. 

Honored Contributor

When we built our current home we had carpet everywhere but the "wet" areas - baths,kitchen and entrances which are all the same tile. Then later on we took out some of the carpet in the back hallway and replaced it with laminate. 

Esteemed Contributor

We will probably have same flooring in all the bathrooms. The laundry room might have different. Not sure yet. The bedrooms will be carpeted and the main part will all be hard floors. Some kind of laminate or vinyl floor planks. The kitchen counters we are hoping will be a white and gray granite or Quartz. Bathrooms will probably be same color but in a Formica.
Honored Contributor

Kitchen, baths & laundry:   all ceramic tile

Entire rest of house:  all Pergo

Counters and cabinets:    haven't gotten that far yet (!)

♥Surface of the Sun♥