Respected Contributor

I have trouble separating myself from things -- like houses I have owned. Occasionally I look them up online and sometimes can see the renovations people have made over the years.

Some are just wonderful; some are.......

This week I looked up the condo I had lived in or rented out for 26 years before moving to my present house.

The current owner had recently renovated it before putting it up for rent. He took down the wall separating the living room and kitchen to make one large room. That's fine. But he installed an island with stools so massive there's no longer room for any kind of dining table. The entire area was painted dark green. It's a pub.

I like pubs, but I wouldn't want to live in one.  

Do you have any good renovation stories?

Valued Contributor

My husband and I grew up in the town we are still residing in - 

My Dad built our large split level when we were kids - a beautiful brick house, which has now surprisingly fallen into disrepair and changed hands many times.  

My husband's childhood home has been re-sided in a lovely gold shade and looks stunning - but all the pine trees, shrubbery, rose bushes and flowers have been removed.

Interesting how the character changes with new owners.

Valued Contributor

NO, I really haven't thought about it...but...previous owners and/or their children have stopped by our house several times.  We've lived here 18 years.  I'm happy our home holds good memories for them.   

Trusted Contributor

Re: Yours, Mine, Ours

[ Edited ]

@PickyPicky3 

I've stalked previous homes on Zillow to see the changes new owners have made and have seen just a couple of pictures of changes and they were fine. I guess we all have different tastes and like to make changes accordingly.

I do love seeing how others decorate and live and would love love to go into my former homes and just walk around and look everywhere. 

Well, not even just my former homes....I like looking at others decorating so much I've been caught looking in their windows at night when walking my dog....A neighbor of mine even waved at me through his window as I was peeping....haha, I was mortified!  

I'm not a peeping tom, I swear! I'm just obsessed with decor....

"We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals" -Immanuel Kant

"Once you have had a wonderful Dog, a life without one, is a life diminished"-Dean Koontz
Esteemed Contributor

I grew up in the home my grandfather and great grandfather built.

Just a couple of photos of an old listing on Zillow. I took a screen shot of the dining room with it's window seat and built in china hutches with leaded glass.

How I wonder what it would be like to have a life with a man who would say "this is what you want? I'll build it for you". 🥰

Respected Contributor

@GingerHead   Me too! In the 1980s I got a bargain on a house in a neighborhood that was rapidly, rapidly gentrifying. I used to take a walk at dusk every day because that's when inside lights were on but people had not yet closed their blinds. I loved seeing the artwork that was going up on walls.

Super Contributor

I am very different.  It takes me years and sometimes even decades to even ride by my old homes, only because of the happy memories and it always makes me sad or sometimes cry.  Eventually I have been able to ride by.

Trusted Contributor

@PickyPicky3 

Haha, glad to hear I'm not the only Decor Peeping Tom!

"We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals" -Immanuel Kant

"Once you have had a wonderful Dog, a life without one, is a life diminished"-Dean Koontz
Respected Contributor

Re: Yours, Mine, Ours

[ Edited ]

I have looked on Zillow to see my first house, that we bought when I was 19 years old in  the 60's.

The irises that grew along the entire length of the garage are gone, as are the azaleas in front of the house. The beautiful French doors to the living room have been removed.

The kitchen exterior door, back hall and small porch are gone.

The kitchen door was moved to where a window was and there is a small landing and stairs, no back hall.

There were two full bathrooms, one on each floor. Now, in the first floor bathroom, the tub and shower have been removed and replaced with a washer and dryer. My washer and dryer were in the basement.

We had a lovely plum tree and I would make plum jam, so yummy.  I'm sure that tree is probably gone too.

I raised five children in that house.

Last summer, an elderly gentleman came to my front door with his daughter. He told me that he had lived in my present house, as a child. He and his family moved out of state when he was 12 years old in 1952. We bought this house in 1978 from the family that his family had sold to.

It was nice to meet him and I invited him to come back with his wife, when they come to our state again.

Honored Contributor

My wonderful Dad built a house in the country with a marble floor entry floor and a white wrought iron curved staircase going to the second floor kitchen, and living room.  The third level had 4 bedrooms and 2 baths.

I was going into the second grade and thought about going to a dance or getting married and walking down that stair case.  I really only lived in that house 2 years.

The man that bought it painted that beautiful red brick colonial with white columns brown, now it's gray and better.

I do prefer the inside changes the other owner made.  I never liked aqua kitchen cabinets.