Honored Contributor

Yet another Kano storage makeover

[ Edited ]

20170124_125629.jpgThis is what has to pass as the master bedroom closet. I didn't think to take a before picture. This is the only closet in my master bedroom and barely has 6 feet of rail space.

The shelf used to have stacks of folded clothing and sheets that would topple over every time that I'd try to access something. This is a big improvement in both looks and function.

There are a couple of the boxes on the floor in there as well.

Honored Contributor

Re: Yet another Kano storage makeover

Worst part of this closet is I only get half of that 6 foot run! Husband has the other half. I get closet envy when people talk about having walk in closets!

Respected Contributor

Looks really nice and the boxes coordinate well with your room colors.  Your previous posts about organizing have inspired me to go through all my boxes stored in my basement and keep what I really want to save and get rid of the rest. I'm halfway there!

Honored Contributor

@itsmagic wrote:

Looks really nice and the boxes coordinate well with your room colors.  Your previous posts about organizing have inspired me to go through all my boxes stored in my basement and keep what I really want to save and get rid of the rest. I'm halfway there!

@itsmagic

Come and motivate me please!! I am taking things out of the house every day, but honestly I feel like I'm not even beginning to purge nearly enough. 

Honored Contributor

Very nice @Mominohio, honestly I don't know that having a walk in closet is all that great, just more to go through and decide what to keep and what to toss/donate, lol. Believe me, I know about that. Makes the job bigger.
"To each their own, in all things".
Honored Contributor

@Mominohio@You did a really great job.I noticed that your DH has a lot of the space...nice of you to share.I put my DH in the spare bedroom closet mostly because he Is very messy but also because I don't like crowding.

How long did it take to get that job done.I like the storage box idea too so that you can see what is in there.

Honored Contributor

@dex wrote:

@Mominohio@You did a really great job.I noticed that your DH has a lot of the space...nice of you to share.I put my DH in the spare bedroom closet mostly because he Is very messy but also because I don't like crowding.

How long did it take to get that job done.I like the storage box idea too so that you can see what is in there.

@dex

We do split the closet 50/50. And it only took maybe an hour to do the closet, most of that was spent weeding out and throwing away things that needed to go anyway. 

My 'thing' now is that the types of things stored in those boxes on the shelves, is the only space I'm allowing for those things. When it is full, we don't need anymore of that type thing. 

The box on the far left top, is queen size sheet for the warmer months (in other words, my flannels and one set of polar fleece aren't stored there ). It also holds my night shirts. The box is full, but not crammed. Things can easily be accessed and replaced. I will buy no more of those two things, until something that 'lives' there needs to be replaced. 

The same thing with the other boxes. What we 'need' is what is there, and any additional items of those things were discarded. I found I was trying to keep way too much of some things, and not nearly enough of other things. I hope to achieve more balance now. 

Honored Contributor

@Mominohio I am really leaning to the less is more lifestyle.I like how you have a plan to keep purchases in check.I need to weed out my closet and get tough with myself while doing it.I want to simplify and get rid of any clutter and excess.I would love to open the closet door to complete order as you have achieved...nice!

Honored Contributor

Good job.  My last house had a double deep master closet with two 3 ft rods.  Hated it.  I always dreamed of a walked in closet.  My current house has one and I love every inch of it.  I feel really fortunate.

Honored Contributor

Our master closet is my favorite thing about our house. It's actually the size of a smallish room. I love it. 

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?