Honored Contributor

Re: Wow! I learned something about hand made quilts.

The one's I've seen in Amish land, are very beautiful and very expensive. 

Honored Contributor

There is a group of ladies at our church who make quilts all year long then auction them off and give the proceeds to the church. The quilts are exquisite and do sell at auction for thousands of dollars.

Honored Contributor

I'm not surprised about her price opinion at all.

3 years ago, I bought a queen sized Amish quilt when we were in Lancaster, PA.  $1,100.  I thought my husband was going to have to be revived, LOL.

Our queen sized quilt fits perfectly on our King sized bed.  I didn't want it to be too big so I bought the queen size.

OP- your quilt is beautiful!

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Honored Contributor

@homedecor1

Oh boy! That is beautiful.

And darn it! @stevieb has beat me to it, but put me on the list to 'inherit' this beautiful piece (we'll duke it out after you are done with it!! LOL)

I have several hand made quilts from my grandmother and great aunt. I'll try to take a picture later and post. I display them but would never put them on our regular beds to use as we are kind of hard on the ones we actually use. 

I have three quilt racks in my house and I love quilts!

I appreciate a good handmade quilt, but I'm no quilt snob. I'll buy what I like, and quite frankly the ones we use on the beds are often cheap (on sale at Kohls' and lots of other discounts too) and don't last long. That doesn't bother me, as it allows some change in the room when I want to move on, and I don't feel financially guilty in doing so.

We have a local Amish Aid auction just down the road from us each year, and I've seen their quilts (very nice ones, but honestly not the very best I've ever seen from their community) go for thousands.

And I have one more request. If things don't work out with your son and future DIL, please send that girl my way. I have s son I'd gladly marry off to a family with this talent (I barely sew a button on securely!!). I'd keep that future mother in law well employed (if she'd like to make a living at it!) making me quilts!

In the meantime, enjoy your quilt. I'm the kind of person that would build a room around a nice gift like that. It really is too bad she didn't get your colors right, but unique and special pieces like this don't have to 'match' to be showcased in a home. There are really neat quilt cabinets like this to store them safely and decoratively, even if they don't quite match the decor of the room

668d8f135650490062a46270e8cad3f8.jpg (352×358)

Respected Contributor

Every year we go to Strasberg, Pa to Mud Days. Always go to the Amish auction.  The quilts are unbelievably gorgeous .  Very pricy. All the work that goes in to some, they can be in the $1000 and up range.

Honored Contributor

I have so much respect for the talent needed to make a quilt. My SIL has made us 3 of them over the course of our marriage and I literally wear them out.
Honored Contributor

Must add that I saw the picture and it fits in so well with the furniture around it -- a breath of spring.  A patriotic theme to put on that chair in summer would be beautiful too.