Honored Contributor

Wow! I learned something about hand made quilts.

[ Edited ]

My future DIL mother makes absolutely beautiful quilts & made me one for a king size bed in my guest room.  She thought I did "spring like greens" but I'm a blue lover.

I decided to fold it and hang over one of my DR chairs in the corner.  I had friends over for dinner & cards last night - 3 of them are avid quilters (1 used to do them on consignment for the Amish in Ohio/Pa).  

One of them took notice of it as I have several black trash bags full of donations for pick-up, she said "I hope you're not donating this beautiful quilt". I said oh no I just laid it there.

She said the stitching on this quilt was exceptional, etc. & asked me where I got it. I told her & I said what would something like this cost to buy?

She told me anywhere from $400-700!!! What!!! I can't imagine my DIL mom makes them just for giving as gifts...I called her today & told her she ought to sell them. The ones I've seen are beautiful, I'd love to have the American Flag she did.

what a wonderful talent! So glad mine was a gift!

Respected Contributor

Re: Wow! I learned something about hand made quilts.

Well, if you get one that has been hand pieced and hand quilted, depending upon the amount of detail and size, you can expect 10-30K. So 10K for a wall hanging and up! Many take the better part of a year to do by hand, and that is a wall hanging size.
Super Contributor

Unless you have made one yourself .. you can't imagine the time

and effort it takes to make a handmade quilt ...

Honored Contributor

@Tigriss@Big Joanie

I made a small quilt with my niece many years ago out of all her baby, toddler & few other things. I remember the hours we expended on that little project (she was 12 I think we finished when she was 14). 

According to my friend this quilt was "hand stitched" for the appliqués & flowers. 

Wow it is amazing.  I will keep this in a safe place!

Honored Contributor

A very talented "show quilter" used to substitute at the high school where I taught.  She also recieves quilt pieces from a company that makes quilt kits.  Her quilt goes on the picture that is the front of the package containing the precut pieces.  

She is also a juried member of the Southern Highland Highland Craft Guild.  Her quilts go for $1,500 and up.  Breathtaking colors and designs.

Honored Contributor

You can send it my way... I love greens...

Not particularly interested in a flag quilt, though...

Smiley Wink

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

@stevieb

sorry I'm finding a home for it! But, since my kids are always telling me when I die it's the Biggest Estate Sale ... I'll make sure I leave your info on the back! Who knows you may get a wonderful gift!

Honored Contributor

@homedecor1 wrote:

@stevieb

sorry I'm finding a home for it! But, since my kids are always telling me when I die it's the Biggest Estate Sale ... I'll make sure I leave your info on the back! Who knows you may get a wonderful gift!

Good for you @homedecor1... All I ask is that you do find a good home for it... That's an exquisite gift, even if the colors might have been more to your liking... I bet the green will grow on you...

Smiley Wink

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

A well made quilt costs lots!  Nothing new and I'm glad you found out so you can better appreciate what was made for you.

Respected Contributor

You should see the little hexagon penny quilts. They are thousands of tiny hexagon pieces and are usually don't by hand. Then there are the ones that are more fine art because of the applique and thread painting/embroidery techniques that really make them fine art. We are talking tens of thousands of dollars worth of work, not just art value.