Honored Contributor

Re: Would you let lack of closet space deter you from a house?

I can always add on!

Honored Contributor

four most important things for ME when purchasing a home.......lots of bathrooms, central air conditioning,  a large kitchen, and lots of closet space.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Respected Contributor

It sounds like the house has adequate closet space.  If the neighborhood, property and house knocks your socks off, go for it!

Esteemed Contributor

No, it wouldn't.

You can always get a chifforobe.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Closet space would not deter me.  But then it is low on my list of current needs.    And boy have those needs changed.

Examples of then:

I never gave stairs much of a thought.   I’ve had 3 story + basement. 

I loved large yard, so pretty.  I’ve have had homes with many acres, with almost 2 of those needing weekly care.

Really enjoyed long winding drive back to house.   So majestic.

3 + baths, wow how opulent.

Way out , away from neighbors, traffic, city, smog, etc.

Price – perfect we can afford it.

Now:

Stairs no way.  I’m even whining about the 2 steps down to garage.

Lovely large groomed yard, no thanks.  I will enjoy looking at others. I like my woods just fine.

Long driveway.   Ok, but the road side mail box needs to be large enough to hold a few days of mail,  since I will only be getting the mail when I am going somewhere.

3+ baths, used or not those dang things need cleaned at least weekly. Ugh

I best be able to run to the drug store and back in less than 15 mins.

Price – needs to be way under market value.

Age and family size greatly affect what our home needs are.  And they certainly would be different for all of us.

It sounds like you are happy with so much about the house, go for it!

You can figure out storage solutions.  Example: It has a garage?   Have you seen those things that hang on the garage ceiling for storage.   They pull down to access.  Great for seasonal or seldom used items, leaving your closets for daily and weekly needed items.

~~who/what is responsible for your joy? YOU!~~
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Closet space would not deter me.  But then it is low on my list of current needs.    And boy have those changed.

Examples of then:

-I never gave stairs much of a thought.   I’ve have 3 story + basement. 

-I loved large yard, so pretty.  I’ve have had homes with many acres, with almost 2 of those needing weekly care.

-Really enjoyed long winding drive back to house.   So majestic.

-3 + baths, wow how opulent.

-Way out , away from neighbors, traffic, city, smog, etc.

-Price – perfect we can afford it.

Now:

-Stairs no way.  I’m even whining about the 2 step down to garage.

-Lovely large groomed yard, no thanks.  I will enjoy looking at others.  Love my woods.

-Long driveway.   Ok, but the road side mail box needs to be large enough to hold a few days of mail,  since I will only be getting the mail when I am going somewhere.

-3+ baths, used or not those dang things need cleaned at least weekly. Ugh

-I best be able to run to the drug store and back in less than 15 mins.

-Price – needs to be way under market value.

Age and family size greatly affect what our home needs are.  And they certainly would be different for all of us.

You can figure out storage solutions.  Example: It has a garage?   Have you seen those things that hang on the garage ceiling for storage.   They pull down to access.  Great for seasonal or seldom used items. 

~~who/what is responsible for your joy? YOU!~~
Respected Contributor

My closet was triangle so strange and it drove me crazy. Someone told me to call Classy Closets and they came out measured (expensive) but they did a great job. Put in drawers in the point of the triangle (very good quality) I got double bars (pants & shirts) & a dress bar. They wanted to give me a shoe rack but I just went to target for that to save some money. If this is going to be a home that you will be there a long time I would do it. Amazing how they can figure out to use every inch of space.

Honored Contributor

It really doesn't sound like this house is lacking in storage. Its just that your home has an excessive amount that you'll probably never find again. When we moved from our old house, with a basement, to this cottage with only a crawl space, I downsized a lot! And I really don't miss anything that I was holding onto. I'd say go for it!

"Pure Michigan"
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Depends on your priorities. It'll keep purchases down, tell ya that!! If you're mostly in Fla., I'd think your clothes wouldn't take up much room since they aren't the heavy winter kind, unless you're speaking of living up north. But what do you use your closets usually hold? Basement, attic, that sort of extra area to store things?

Honored Contributor

I would make up a list with the pros and cons of each home.  But I have to say, when we bought our home, it did not have the amount of storage and closet space that I wanted but we bought it any way.  And I have been so sorry ever since!  I believe if you don't have enough storage space, you have to be super diligent about keeping purchases to a minimum and getting rid of things constantly.  This is not something I am good at or want to be good at!  I am a keeper and a shopper!  The house had a lot of good qualities and at the time DH and I had been looking for a home for months and were so sick of looking and we were finding nothing which met all of our needs for the right price.  So, we ended up having to give up some of the things on my list.  

I really believe proper storage and closet space is essential in keeping things neat and orderly.  I mean its possible without, but so much easier with!

I'd think long and hard before I bought this home!  If you can be more of a minimalist or do not have or buy a lot of clothes, etc., then you would probably be alright! 

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin