Respected Contributor

Re: When was the last time you painted your walls inside?

@jlkz wrote:

I also love  ( make that past tense ) to paint:  DH moves stuff for me, takes down lights and switch plates, moves the tarp, etc.

I am better at the trim work, esp. When gloss is applied next to flat / matte.  There was one door jamb that he did and for years I could see gloss on flat.  Minor, I know.

I prefer using an electric roller because you only have to roll straight down a wall once and then do the next column roll down.  It makes edging easier because there isn't very much for the little brush to fill in.

If you use the electric roller make certain to turn it off when you take a short break ( longer or overnight, wrap it in a plastic bag and twist tie closed).  When I was painting a shore rental property, I went downstairs to answer the doorbell:  flowers from the realtor.

Put flowers in vase and then went back upstairs just in the nick of time:  the roller trough had continued to fill and was ready to spill over to the carpet.  Lesson learned.  Hope that helps someone else avoid disaster !

@jlkz - Evine has the coolest paint stick that you fill directly from your paint can and deposit right back into the paint can and it leaves the inside of the stick clean!  I was tempted to get this, but I have a lot of doors and closets that I have to paint around so didn't think it would help much.

Respected Contributor

@tansy wrote:

@hoosieroriginal -- Be very careful with olive green paint.  I tried it at my last house and it was like living in an avocado.

We should be painting -- it sure needs it -- but so much of our furniture is heavy.  

@tansy - I know!  Greens are so difficult!  I painted my kitchen three times before I got a color I liked.  Think I'm going to get some samples first.  I've seen so many pictures of rooms in colors I like, I need to start writing down the colors.

Respected Contributor

@hoosieroriginal wrote:

@151949 wrote:

When I was younger I did my own painting and was always painting something however, now I have a hand palsy so I'm too shakey to do the trim work. We need to paint badly. We still have the builders awful paint up, but since we will need to hire the work done it will be quite expensive I believe.

@151949 - I hear you - this year is a lot tougher than 13 years ago - hard to get up off the floor when I'm painting the trim.  That's why I'm getting it done now!

Wow,  I totally for got that I have a bad knee and heel Spurs that would be killing me if I tried to paint now:  it's official, my painting days are done.  Kneeling has been out for almost 2 years now for me so that would apply to doing the baseboards as well.     Thanks for the reminder !

We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give.
Sir Winston Churchill
Honored Contributor

I in fact just painted our living room 2 weeks ago, it had been 10 years for that room & the dining room.  I am planning to do the dining room but we have a small wall we need to totally take down - old, very old plaster on old, very old lathe boards.  We'll replace it drywall and then paint.  I'd really like to get it done before the plants come inside for the winter but I'm in no hurry now. 

Priority switched to getting new wall to wall laid in the living, dining and front hall (that's a room in itself almost).  Gotta get the carpeting in prior to plants.  Plants go into dining room in front of 3 straight bay windows and on top of a very large sideboard in this room, a few on the dining room table too.

Dining room may not get repaired/painted until plants go back outside next spring.  And this is okay with me.

Two summers ago I painted the front hallway, up the L-shaped stairwell, hall upstairs.  At this point all of this, living & dining all match floor to ceiling including the ceilings.

This winter we're hitting the kitchen hard to finally repair properly a small portion of the ceiling above the bathroom from a leak.  It finally has been repaired properly so we know that's good to go.  Repair kitchen ceiling then wash walls and paint. Kitchen is also very old - we have a pantry and the kitchen space where range/fridge are, along with a short bar and baker's rack.  It's been at least 8 years since it was painted.

I don't mind painting, for me it's all the prep in taping off all of our very old oak woodwork and basebaords all around.