Esteemed Contributor

Re: Well, Nuts and No Christmas !!

@Carolm  Hi. What brand did you go with, if I may ask?

Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea-Robert A. Heinlein
Honored Contributor

@pattypeep wrote:

As my mother used to always say. My dryer died last night and I spent this morning at the laundromat. Hate that. The repair man is coming Monday am, but depending on what he says: the dilemma: Our w/d set is 13 years old. My dh and I decided if it was more than $200 to repair we would just replace it. But...here's the thing (MB), I believe we should replace both of them at the same time and donate the washer. It would just be our luck that the washer will be next to go. What do you think?

Have a Beautiful And Blessed Day

@pattypeep  I am surprised that the washer didn't go first, as it usually does, works harder than a dryer, but I would get both at the same time, I did.  

Esteemed Contributor

"Here's the thing":  I'd talk to the serviceman about the likelihood that something else would go wrong with either unit and go from there.

Cogito ergo sum
Esteemed Contributor

@mousiegirl  True. When I read the book prior to calling for repair it mentioned that there are two fuses and if one of them "blows", the dryer will run but will not heat. That is what is happening. So, that being said, we lost power "again" on Monday and I'm wondering if that caused a fuse to blow. If it is the problem, it should be an easy fix and hopefully not terribly expen$ive.

Thank you for posting.

Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea-Robert A. Heinlein
Honored Contributor

Our dryer needed a heating element so we haven't faced the dilemma of buyng a new one.  If you like your washer, you might be better off keeping it even if the dryer has to be replaced.

Respected Contributor

We replaced the washer and not the dryer. It has been about five years and we still have the dryer. DH says don't replace anything if it is still working. You should see my stove. Old very old but it still works. It can't last much longer can it??????

Honored Contributor

I've been waiting for my dryer to die since 1994.  The dashboard stopped working right after the one year warranty ended and they wanted $180 for the part and then labor on top of it.

The dryer still works, it just doesn't shut off automatically.  I have to manually turn it off.

Not worth repairing, not worth replacing.  It's in the gray area.  LOL

If my washer ever goes, I will replace both at the same time.  But while it makes a ton of noise, it doesn't seem to be ready to give up just yet.

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Esteemed Contributor

Well.........the repairman came out and IF they could find the replacement part (which was the main control board), it would be $470 and change to fix the dryer. The optimum word being IF and they don't even make those parts anymore. We decided to replace washer with the dryer and offered our washer to an acquaintance in need and he was thrilled. It still works beautifully. What is a good thing, if there is such a thing after all of this, is that we are going to go with a set that stacks and we will get a lot more room since my laundry area is in what used to be a linen closet in our hall bath. I read so many washer reviews on top load and front load and decided to stick with front load since I really like my current one.

Good Morning Have a Lovely day