Honored Contributor

I used to wash my walls every spring when we lived in Pa. We had a dog , plus the house was closed up half the year and they seemed dirty to me. This was confirmed when I would wash them, and the water in the bucket would get very dirty, while the rooms would feel fresh and smell nice.

Now I live in Florida, I'm no longer physically able to move the furniture to wash down walls and my walls don't have washable paint on them, so I haven't done them in 7 years.I really miss that fresh, clean feeling & smell.

Respected Contributor

@Mom2Dogs wrote:

I don't have any weird cleaning habits....but I am a nut about clutter. I catch myself going thru the house on a more than regular basis to de-clutter.

Am I supposed to wash walls....I sweep the corners and baseboards weekly and around the ceiling, but I don't wash walls.

As a kid I remember my mom washing the walls with Spik n Span, what a dreaded job. It was amazing how dirty the water was when she was done. It don't have the time, energy or desire to do my walls.

Honored Contributor

Re: Weird things you clean

[ Edited ]

I have to chuckle as I read through all of the posts here.  What we think is weird to clean, every one of you note things you clean I find myself on every list!

fridge coils - funny, DH & I just finished a much over-do in the kitchen you know, wash the walls prep for painting, done.  So this means both fridge & range had to be moved.  Coils, cord, back of fridge and flr under not bad. Range on the other hand, well who moves this unless you're remodeling and/or buying  new!  Yeah, it was all gross and THX DH to doing this while I did other things.

On another post I tlaked about taking out the tray in washer that we gunk up with powder detergents, softener & bleach.  I take an old toothbrush and scrub them all out. Clean the opening your pull-out drawer fits into too. We've stopped using both bleach (bothers him) and softener. Clothes come out just fine and we're saving that $$$ too.

Light bulbs from another poster - sure do and dust the shade inside & out. 

Not always but enough times I'll get down on the flr and do all the intracacies (sp?) of the dining rm table & chairs, as well both sideboards. Not only takes awhile but kills my bad knees!

Magazine rack inside & out - mags too!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yes I do the plugin cords too.

Esteemed Contributor

I remember my mother cleaning the inside of the toilet tank!!

Honored Contributor

@nana59 wrote:

I remember my mother cleaning the inside of the toilet tank!!

I do this several time a year as well. We have a lot of iron in our water, and even with a whole house filter, and a softener system using rust out salt, we have to watch places that water just sits (like the toilet tank!). It gets rather orange in there, and develops a black film that is like seaweed or mold if left go too long. 

I pour some Iron Out in the tank, let it set for a few hours, then flush several times, each time scrubbing the inside of the tank with a toothbrush as it refills. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Hand held can opener, the little wheel that cuts. I clean it with a toothbrush to get down and in and get it cleaned. 

Use to take pipe cleaners and clean his pipes. He no longer smokes pipes.

Honored Contributor

@panda1234 wrote:

@Mom2Dogs wrote:

I don't have any weird cleaning habits....but I am a nut about clutter. I catch myself going thru the house on a more than regular basis to de-clutter.

Am I supposed to wash walls....I sweep the corners and baseboards weekly and around the ceiling, but I don't wash walls.

As a kid I remember my mom washing the walls with Spik n Span, what a dreaded job. It was amazing how dirty the water was when she was done. It don't have the time, energy or desire to do my walls.

I think it is the memory of that grossly dirty water that makes you keep coming back and washing them every year.I used Spic& Span too.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I throw all of my hair brushes and combs in the dishwasher then air-dry them. I do this with my dog's brushes and combs, too. I make sure to remove all the hair first, of course, before placing them in the washer. They come out looking like new.Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

Yes, I clean a lot of weird things but I'll have to say that I've never washed a wall in my 63 years! My mom never did either, I guess thats why I've never seen anyone do it. Woman Surprised

"Pure Michigan"
Honored Contributor

Take a look into your toilet tank.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.