Respected Contributor

I've owned true Irish-made Waterford lead crystal for years and in recent years have been selling it off through consignment and online through Craigslist.  It's not selling on the secondary market for anything close to what it costs retail today or sold for in the "old days",  but I no longer need or want to own anything as fragile as that.

I also have more recently bought a little  bit of Waterford Marquis, but everyone who buys this product needs to know it is not full lead crystal and instead is a product made of "crystalline".  It is more durable, can go through the dishwasher, at least on gentler cycles and is certainly lower in cost.  Ads for Marquis by Waterford  can deceive people into thinking this is real Irish-made crystal---not even close.

I bought my daughter-in-law a true Waterford crystal vase several years go as an engagement gift, and it cost $280 at Bloomingdale's.  Crystalline vases made by Marquis Waterford cost much less.

Respected Contributor

I understand that Waterford is a very popular brand, but what I see on Evine is not impressive. Good crystal has to be  light and hand cut. That is why I collected ( and use it) only Bohemian and German pieces. I have only one good table lamp by Waterford,expensive, but good.

I purchased once glasses from Evine, very cheap, I still use it for everyday use but they are too heavy.

I am sure Waterford makes great stuff too but it should cost a lot.

Interesting fact that all this Irish crystal busines was created and initially introduced by a gentleman from Bohemia ,Check republic.

Respected Contributor

Crystalline is variety of glass without a Pb. It order to have nice, light, sparkly crystal it has to contain 24% Pb. 

Honored Contributor

Re: Waterford Crystal

[ Edited ]

The Marquis is exactly what I wanted since it is durable.  I've never been a terribly fancy person or one to put on airs.  My mom & dad had a lot of real expensive crystal (kinda of a trophy for my mom, in a way) and it sat in their big china hutch only to be pulled out for a family dinner a couple of times a year.  At this stage of my life, it makes no sense for DH & I to make such an investment.  I just wanted some cut stemware that would be an improvement over what we currently have and something I could use everyday if I wanted to.  Just because it isn't lead crystal doesn't mean that it won't be pretty.  I have no intentions of putting any of it in the dishwasher.

Trusted Contributor

Re: Waterford Crystal

[ Edited ]

@sunshine 919, thanks for the info,  I have enjoyed watching the Waterford shows from Ireland since last evening.

I have recently purchased Waterford vases from Evine for my mom, my daughter and myself. I'm aware that they are not made in Ireland, but in Germany or Slovenia and that some are crystalline, not lead crystal. I would love the Irish made Waterford crystal pieces but they are now priced way out of my comfort level. For myself and my lifestyle, I can't see myself paying that much for that kind of item. The pieces I have puchased are fine for my every day use and I won't cry big  salty tears if they happen to get broken.

I have saved a substantial amount of money on these items at Evine compared to the retail or even sale prices at Macy's and the like. I'm really satisfied with my Evine Waterford purchases. 

Trusted Contributor

I have only one piece of "real" Waterford, a vase that my good friend gave me 25 years ago for my wedding shower. I have some of the Marquis line that I bought myself and I think it's very pretty and suits my purposes. Once years ago I saw a large Waterford bowl, like punch bowl size in ruby colored crystal. It was the most beautiful thing, but I couldn't afford it or justify the purchase. Do they still make that ruby color? I still think about today.

Honored Contributor

@JeanLouiseFinch wrote:

The Marquis is exactly what I wanted since it is durable.  I've never been a terribly fancy person or one to put on airs.  My mom & dad had a lot of real expensive crystal (kinda of a trophy for my mom, in a way) and it sat in their big china hutch only to be pulled out for a family dinner a couple of times a year.  At this stage of my life, it makes no sense for DH & I to make such an investment.  I just wanted some cut stemware that would be an improvement over what we currently have and something I could use everyday if I wanted to.  Just because it isn't lead crystal doesn't mean that it won't be pretty.  I have no intentions of putting any of it in the dishwasher.

I agree!

Having really expensive crystal is nice, but if I was investing in some, I'd want it to be cheap enough to not hesitate using on a daily basis. 

I don't have many 'fancy' occasions, so lesser expensive Waterford would be my choice, as I wouldn't feel bad using it and possibly damaging/breaking it. For me, it would be all about the look, not so much the actual pedigree of the product.

Esteemed Contributor

I checked out Evine.com once in the last day or two, and I watched a few minutes of the live stream.  I thought it was nice seeing a home-decor show of any kind, because they are so rare around here!  

I saw a vase that I would've bought, but it was showing sold out.  It was called the Kelly vase.  I thought it was nice-looking, useful, and more affordable than some.  Oh well!  

Respected Contributor

Just for the heck of it, I checked Evine's Waterford selection.  The two items I looked at show place of origin as Slovenia.

The Waterford I own was made in Ireland, years ago.  I would only buy now if it were from Ireland.

Regular Contributor

I have been buying Waterford for years from Evine. Some Marquis and some Lismore. I love them both. I also have several really old pieces from my Grandmother. I have no trouble in mixing all of them and they look lovely.  I give Waterford for wedding presents, Christmas presents, birthday presents and everyone loves them.

the only problem I have with Waterford and Evine is that I spend way too much money every time they come on. The only way I don't buy is to not watching!