Frequent Contributor

Vacuums, Hardwood Floors and Cat Litter?

Has anyone found a vacuum that does not toss cat litter out the back?  I have tried two Dysons and two Sharks with no luck.  And, it doesn't seem to matter what strength setting it is on. Help! (and thanks). 

Honored Contributor

Re: Vacuums, Hardwood Floors and Cat Litter?

@DaleP   I'm not sure what you mean by "toss litter out the back."  Does the litter go out the back of your vacuum cleaner?

I have a Miele canister vacuum cleaner and love it.  I've used my Miele for many years.  It does a great job on cat litter on my hardwood floors.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

I have a Shark Rocket stick.  Same has no issue w/litter.  Sorry, I do not know what you mean by "toss cat litter out the back."

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@DaleP 

I know what you mean, some are not heavy enough, or strong enough, they pull the litter up on to the roller and then just flip it off the roller as you move forward, instead of pulling it in to the vacuum.

I also have a Miele canister vac., 4 cats, a Puggle, and a huge Labrador. Love them, Love the vacuum!

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
QVC Customer Care
Honored Contributor

I have the newest version of the Shark Lift-Away upright. It has a brush roll which has soft flexible squeegee blades on it alternating with regular bristles. Those blades catch and move debri up and off the floor so it gets sucked into the waste cup. It's a brilliant design and it works like nothing else.

Here's a pic of the brush roll. The yellow strips are soft flexible squeegee blades.

s-l640.jpg

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@DaleP

I have really good news for you!

You don't have to spend a lot of money.

Eureka canister, has a button (pedal) that stops the brushroll from spinning so you're just using the s u c k tion feature for hardwoods.

You really don't need a brushroll for hardwoods, anyways.

The brushroll action is what is kicking the litter out the back.

Also has a feature that it will clean the brushroll so you never have to turn your vacuum over and pull anything wrapped around the brushrolls---ughkkk.

They only cost a little over a hundred bucks.  

ETA:  Also, a must for me is cord rewind.  I hate wrapping a vac cord around.  And around.  And.....

Honored Contributor

I have three cats and a Shark Rotator Tru-Pet.  I've never had any problem with it throwing the litter out the back, so I'm afraid I can't help.

My Shark is probably 8 years old and still works beautifully.  (Unlike the very expensive Dyson I had.)  Mine has three settings for hard floors, carpet and shag.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I have a Dyson stick vacuum, rechargeable, and also have 3 cats. Fur and litter all over, but I have never had a problem with my Dyson not picking anything up. I'm not sure what's meant by "throwing it out the back" - litter, fur and regular dust/dirt all get picked up and go into the cannister. I use it daily and wouldn't be without it. In the 5 or 6 years that I've had it, I've only had to replace the battery pack once.

We seem to be confused by what you mean....could you clarify what it is you do and what is happening? I can't imagine why 4 different vacuums wouldn't be picking up kitty litter!

Frequent Contributor

Sorry about not being too clear.  When pushing the vacuum away, the litter is "thrown" back at me....like on my feet.  No difference if using floor setting or carpet setting.  HTH.