Honored Contributor

Yes, another spring cleaning/decluttering/organizational post!

I have a hutch in my basement that I use to store all my real candles and their things (plates, shade, rings, tea lights, holders, etc.)

I don't burn many real candles anymore, and this thing is just full. I have gone through and removed (donated) fragrances I don't really care for, and noticed I have a number of partially burned candles. I've been bringing them up one at a time and lighting them. I let the candle burn during the day and evening, and if at the end of the day, I don't really love the fragrance, it goes in the trash if it is below half, or into the donations if it is above half.

It just didn't seem to fit in with the decluttering to keep partially burned candles (especially multiple ones). It was time to just use them up. 

So another tip for organizing....use it up. Anything you have opened and used part of, then pushed to the back of the shelf/closet/cabinet needs to be revisited. If you aren't using it because you don't really love it (be it lotion, dish soap, shampoo, candles, perfume, cleaning products, or even a book you started and don't care for) either finish it off, or donate it (or throw it away if appropriate to do so).

Honored Contributor
Good tip and one that I have always followed. I dislike half used things sitting around, so I always either use them up, or donate/dispose of them. It's a total waste not to.
"To each their own, in all things".
Esteemed Contributor

you have reminded me about my "real" candle collection. I used to burn them all the time in the evening and while i was cleaning.  I got out of the habit when i started buying the flameless candles.

The one tip that I do is to put the small used candles that still have scent in the bottom of my trash bin. I put my trach bag over it. When I no longer smell scent when changing bags it goes in with the rest of the trash.  Helps elimate having to change the liners before they are full.

Honored Contributor

@Fressa wrote:

you have reminded me about my "real" candle collection. I used to burn them all the time in the evening and while i was cleaning.  I got out of the habit when i started buying the flameless candles.

The one tip that I do is to put the small used candles that still have scent in the bottom of my trash bin. I put my trach bag over it. When I no longer smell scent when changing bags it goes in with the rest of the trash.  Helps elimate having to change the liners before they are full.

@Fressa

This is a great idea!

I have put open unwanted candles (or partial ones) down on the floor in the basement near the kitty litter boxes. Even though I clean the boxes at least once a day, they sometimes smell (to me, although no one else claims to smell it)

Honored Contributor

@Mominohio wrote:

Yes, another spring cleaning/decluttering/organizational post!

I have a hutch in my basement that I use to store all my real candles and their things (plates, shade, rings, tea lights, holders, etc.)

I don't burn many real candles anymore, and this thing is just full. I have gone through and removed (donated) fragrances I don't really care for, and noticed I have a number of partially burned candles. I've been bringing them up one at a time and lighting them. I let the candle burn during the day and evening, and if at the end of the day, I don't really love the fragrance, it goes in the trash if it is below half, or into the donations if it is above half.

It just didn't seem to fit in with the decluttering to keep partially burned candles (especially multiple ones). It was time to just use them up. 

So another tip for organizing....use it up. Anything you have opened and used part of, then pushed to the back of the shelf/closet/cabinet needs to be revisited. If you aren't using it because you don't really love it (be it lotion, dish soap, shampoo, candles, perfume, cleaning products, or even a book you started and don't care for) either finish it off, or donate it (or throw it away if appropriate to do so).

@Mominohio  This is exactly what I have been doing for months with Valerie's older candles.  I light them, and if I like the scent, if I can even smell it, I keep burning, othersie, it goes in the Salvation Army donation pile.  I am almost through them, then I can concentrate on the scents I love, The Cheerful Giver and Swan Creek Candle Co.  Since discovering The Cheerful Giver, I am sticking with this company, and only a few from Swan Creek that I love, as I think The Cheerful Giver burns more cleanly.

Esteemed Contributor

I still burn real candles.  I keep a stash stored with glass holders, lighters, etc for emergencies. I got a deal on 20 hour unscented votives from AI Root for 50 cents/ea.

It's not unusual for a storm to knock out power up here and it's taken crews 2-3 days to restore after a blizzard has come thru.

I once went into WM after a 3 day outage and the store had been picked clean of every battery and flashlight! Absolutely surreal and I'm glad I didn't need a thing.

Esteemed Contributor

I stopped burning candles when I found soot on the dining room ceiling.

I used to sell Gold Canyon Candles.  I had a hug amount of samples.

I use the tart warmers. So I scooped out the samples and warmed those. I scooped out some of the candles to use in the tart warmers.

Honored Contributor

I love *real* candles! 

I have mostly pillars and they last a long long time. 

But when they get down to about 3-4 inches, they go on a tray and get lit all at once.  Stunning!

Different colors, different scents.  I only buy what I LOVE (Partylite), but if I get something as a gift (drugstore, mall store candles) I burn them out on my deck at night.