Super Contributor

I should also give a shout out to beautiful New England, which is my neck of the woods. Although I could do without the snow (and they're forecasting a blizzard here this week), there is no place like New England in autumn. I really like the fact that the ocean is just a few miles away from me, and yet in a couple of hours I can be in the mountains. Despite the weather, I can't imagine living anywhere else.

Respected Contributor
JAMESTOWN, the first permanent English settlement and where it ALL started. 5 miles away, COLONIAL WILLIAMSBURG a beautiful colonial town, now filming "TURN" the AMC series about revolutionary spys. And Yorktown, 15 minutes away, where the Revolutionary war ended in the battle of Yorktown. All in the beautiful state of Virginia just 2 1/2 hrs from D.C.
Respected Contributor

Hurricane Ridge in Port Angeles, WA See mountains and glaciers.

The Biltmore in Asheville, NC Went with a friend from these forums and had a blast.

Key West, FL Touristy but loads of fun.

Jet boat tour up Hells Canyon. leave from Lewiston Idaho and hit Oregon, and WA along the way. USA's deepest canyon. Take dry clothes, you will get wet. See lots of wildlife and more on this day trip.

Paddle boat cruise from Portland, Oregon to Lewiston, Idaho Idaho's only seaport. You will go though locks on this wonderful trip up the Columbia and Snake river.

Super Contributor
Kachina nailed it. Southern Utah is the most beautiful part of the U.S. The redwoods in Northern California are a must see, Seattle along with a boat ride to the San Juan Islands to see the Orcas is a must see. South Dakota is breathtaking - Mt Rushmore, the Badlands...the list is endless. These are my very favorite places.
Respected Contributor

I'd like to get back to San Francisco and Golden Gate Park which I missed on our trip years ago. also to spend some time in Chinatown looking at all the nice things.

Trusted Contributor

Maine, Alaska, and Hawaii for me. And if you haven't been to San Francisco, it's a must. Just beautiful.

Trusted Contributor
Yes I agree we camped all the Parks in Utah,just stunning,we went in the Spring wild flowers and cactus all in bloom,the beauty just never stopped.So much Native history.
Honored Contributor
On 1/24/2015 Desertdi said:

Don't come to Phoenix in the winter if you are looking for WARM weather.

How cold does it get, my husband lived in Sun Valley and we are considering retirement there

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Honored Contributor
On 1/25/2015 I am still oxox said:
On 1/24/2015 Desertdi said:

Don't come to Phoenix in the winter if you are looking for WARM weather.

How cold does it get, my husband lived in Sun Valley and we are considering retirement there

Sun Valley is up on I-40 near Holbrook in northern AZ......it is really cold up there. If you mean "Valley of the Sun"......a nickname for Phoenix.......we actually DO have a winter season. This year we had a hard freeze the week between Christmas and New Years. I have had the central heat on since November. January averages 45 to 65.......which is not sunbathing or swimming weather unless you are very hearty! Golfers love it, though! May thru September......days well over 100, and last summer season was the hottest on record.

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Frequent Contributor
My bucket list is to travel to all 50 states. I'm at 38 states now, this June I am going to Oregon, stay at Cannon Beach and tour the Oregon coast and then drive to Seattle. That will add two more states Oregon and Washington State to my list to total 40! Next year I plan to do New England in Autumn where most of the remaining states I haven't been to are, especially excited to see Vermont and Maine...................................I am so thankful as a child that my dad always insisted on a two week vacation every summer to just travel the U.S. every year somewhere different. Last summer we took my parents, brother, and nephew to Montana and Glacier National Park, then to Yellowstone again (which looked different but still fascinating to my 42 year old eyes vs my when I visited when I was 10)....................................Montana is GORGEOUS, it truly is Big Sky Country. National parks I haven't been to are always on my bucket list, like Redwoods and Yosemite. Some of my favorite places are New Orleans, San Francisco, Savannah, Key West, Hawaii, Montana, Utah, Smoky Mountains, Blue Ridge Mountains, Badlands/Mount Rushmore, Grand Tetons.