Super Contributor

I went to Australia for Christmas to visit my brother, he lives there. I'm looking for US ideas, to visit now.

What are your US bucket list travel ideas? I'd like to plan a trip for the Spring or Summer. Ideas?

Honored Contributor
Southern Utah, the most under-rated, magnificent part of the US. Includes Monument Valley (Arizona), Canyonlands NP, Natural Bridges and Arches NPs. Zion and Bryce NPs, as well as North Rim of the Grand Canyon. There are things you'll see nowhere else on earth.
New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

Don't come to Phoenix in the winter if you are looking for WARM weather.

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Valued Contributor
Kachina is right. Southern Utah and northern AZ are stunningly beautiful. Its like a different world. For my bucket list, I would like to see Gettysburg and other Civil War sites as well as Revolutionary War sites. I would also go pay homage to the heroes of Flight 93. I want to see Washington D.C. esp the White House, Capitol Building and the Smithsonian. Those places are tops on my list. If I had time and money, I would just get in my car and drive. I love driving long distances. I guess it is the excitement of not knowing what is down the road or around the corner :-)
Super Contributor
On 1/24/2015 Kachina624 said: Southern Utah, the most under-rated, magnificent part of the US. Includes Monument Valley (Arizona), Canyonlands NP, Natural Bridges and Arches NPs. Zion and Bryce NPs, as well as North Rim of the Grand Canyon. There are things you'll see nowhere else on earth.

I totally agree with you. Absolutely beautiful. DH and I did a road through the entire area you listed many years ago, and would like to repeat some day.

Honored Contributor

The Los Angeles area. A lot to see there. It's big. Get a list and see what you can. New York City, Broadway, Fifth Avenue. So much to see in NY. Vermont in Autumn. North Carolina Great Smoky Mountains, Blue Ridge Parkway, Tennessee/NC, Memphis Beale Street, Asheville (America's Castle, Biltmore), Charleston, South Carolina, Albuquerque, New Mexico, Williamsburg, Gettysburg, Smithsonian, Savannah, Georgia, New Orleans French Quarter, St Augustine, Fl, travel the course of the states which the mighty Mississippi runs through, lots of beautiful antebellum in Mississippi, Peabody in Memphis with the duck walk, Salt Lake City, Seattle, Washington, Las Vegas, Nevada, the desert of Death Valley near Barstow, Ca, Tulsa, Ok, by all means Dallas-Fort Worth area and Houston. The Painted Ladies of San Francisco and Rainbow Row in Charleston. It's a beautiful country. Don't let the naysayers tell you it is not. It has more resources that any country in the world and each state has its own history and they are all worth visiting. I have not been to Alaska since I was a toddler and I want to see it as an adult; that's on my bucket list.

Super Contributor
Our favorite place is St Germain Wisconsin. It has lakes and woods and is just beautiful, I also agree Utah is beautiful, as is the Grand Canyon. I also think the redwoods of northern ca are beautiful. I would also vote for the outer banks of NC and Bar Harbor Maine. if anyone is going to Las Vegas a side trip to the red rock nature area is beautiful.
Respected Contributor

If you haven't been to Yosemite National Park, it should definitely be on your list. To me, it is one of the most beautiful places in America. Go in late Spring, early Summer when the water falls are full. Stay in Yosemite Valley so you are close to everything.

Super Contributor

I've been fortunate to travel to many parts of the world, including much of Europe, Africa, Canada, Mexico and the U.S., and the American Southwest is near the top of my list in terms of beautiful places. I had no expectations when I visited southern Utah, and it was incredible. Monument Valley is stunning. It sounds like a cliché to call it magical, but it really is. Santa Fe was also a favorite, and I love the Oregon coast and northern California, particularly San Francisco and Sonoma.

I have not yet been to Charleston, Savannah or New Orleans, and they are all on my bucket list. We are thinking of traveling to the Texas Hill Country and San Antonio in April, so maybe I can check that one off the list.

As much as I love Europe and beyond, I have come to believe that some of the most beautiful scenery in the world is right here in the U.S.

Respected Contributor

I have been most places (I had some interesting jobs..) but I haven't been to Montana, Wyoming, Hawaii, Alaska and Idaho. I probably will see Alaska and Hawaii at some point during work, but I'm in no hurry.

I would put on anyone's bucket list New York City, New Orleans (I haven't seen enough of it--usually was working too long hours), Seattle, San Francisco, Maine, Boston. And Vermont in the Autumn.