Honored Contributor

I would choose a new house with a large tiled walk in shower over a bathtub any day.   My teacher daughter is the only person in this house who has bathed in our tub in the last year.   I have taken 1 bath in the 4 years since my knee replacement, and that experience was just too awkward to repeat.   

Three years ago my Mom remodeled her only bathroom to make it handicapped accessible.  She had the contractor use part of her 3rd bedroom in the bathroom remodel, in order to have a window and a large linen closet.   Mom chose a 5 ft one piece shower stall with a seat, pedestal sink, and raised toilet.   She absolutely loves her new bathroom, and says it was the best money she ever spent.   Resale value didn't factor into Moms decision, as one of my brothers gets the house after Mom is gone, and he has no children or grandchildren.  I doubt he ever chooses to live in the house, and will offer it to one of my daughters, in order to have someone living there.   

Valued Contributor

If I was planning on staying in the house for any length of time I would do what I want.  When we purchased our house the master had a large jetted garden tub.  Thought that would be wonderful.  Used it twice in nine years.  Ripped out the whole bath and redid with a gorgeous tile shower.  I have friends who have brought up two generation of children/grands in a house with only a shower.  No problem for them.  IMO if someone wants your home and it is reasonably priced they will purchase it.  If they are looking for a reason not to they can always come up with one.

Honored Contributor

I've actually been considering moving and a lot of the homes I've noticed now have been remodeled without a tub.  Total deal breaker for me.  I need my hot bath or I am not human.  

Having said that, if you are looking to remain in the house for a long time, as others have said, it's your space.  Enjoy it and use it how you like.  My sister has done that and she's very happy with her renovations.      

Respected Contributor

We've been in our house for 30 years. We put tubs in both bathrooms when we built (a jetted tub in the MB). Separate showers/tubs weren't really a "thing" then. Over the years we've replaced both tubs with walk-in showers. We're getting older, my knees will no longer let me get in and out of the tub, we have no plans to sell anytime soon, so we did what we wanted. I don't miss my bathtub at all!

Honored Contributor

@Imadickens wrote:

@chi5925 wrote:

I agree with the posters here -- if you're selling the home, you will need to have a tub since families with kids will require that. 

Having said that, when I bought my condo, I removed the tub in the second bathroom and made it a walk in shower -- installed marble floors and walls. 

I was thinking that as one gets older the last thing they want to worry about is climbing in/out of a tub.

Plus the complex I live in is in a suburb that is mostly single family homes so people with young kids would probably not want to live here.

Hall Bath1.JPG

Very beautiful! That's what we were thinking!

Gorgeous! I would love to have this in my Master Bath!

Honored Contributor

This post HAS to be Karma. DH and I are also looking at a '50's ranch, and yes, the hall bath is small and the "en suite" is teeny tiny.

Does the addition of an in-the-tub, advanced style, hand held shower head and grab bars help those of you who don't use a tub but feel that there "should" be at least one in the house for resale purposes?

I think that may be a workable soution to our problem. Even if we removed the tub, the area would still be so small that I don't see much positive change to be made by doing so.

Our present house has one bathtub and one bath with a tiled shower.

I have taken fewer than 10 "baths" in the tub during the almost 20 years we've lived in the house.

Respected Contributor

I wouldn't buy a home without a tub.  I rarely take a bath, as I love showers.  However, if I want to take a bath or have company I'll need a tub.

Honored Contributor

I love baths!  We're re-building a home now and even though it's rather small, 2 full baths are a must!

As with our other house, one bath will have a 42 inch tiled shower and another full bath with a tub (w/ a shower fixture overhead---they NEVER get used).

Our last home we had custom built with a 'garden tub' and I'd take a quick rinse off shower before stepping into that tub.  HEAVEN!

But with space issues at two different beach houses, not an option any more. 

So I have no problem with a *regular* bathtub---as long as it's never used as a showering space also---that skeeves me out.

At both houses, we have outside showers (with benches) that get used as much as the inside showers.

Honored Contributor

I personally like having a tub.  We have a hot tub so I don't use my bathtub all that often to soak in but I want it available if need be. 

I know these things don't happen often or may never happen but I had an instance where my sister was staying with me following surgery and had to take baths for awhile.  And at one point, my mom had a head to toe rash and was given something to put in bath water and told to soak.  We would have been in a world of hurt in those situations without a tub.  

Respected Contributor

For the resale it is good to have a tub.  But I personally do not care for it, I do not have time to sit in there. I have one normal sized tub with shower enclosure( for guests now).Also I have a totally useless oversized bathtub in my master bathroom and smallish shower. I would rather have a small tub and huge shower with jets, rain shower and a bench. Too bad I cannot redo it because my tile is no longer available and I am in love with it. Smiley Sad((