Honored Contributor

Re: Trends that are going out in home decor

I was just going through the Blair catalog and - lo & behold - what are they showing for the home - tapestry. tapestry design curtains and tapestry placemats. I think I may get the placemats as i loved the design and the colors.

Honored Contributor

@Mj12 wrote:

I saw an ad for black stainless steel appliances - very cool and different.  I still like our regular stainless steel though.

ThompsonPriceKitchenaidBlackStainlessSteel.jpg

this just looks industrial to me. 

Honored Contributor

There are some people who just have to get rid of anything that they deem to be passe and replace with whatever is trendy no matter the cost. Then there are those who never have updated and live with the same stuff their entire life and in the middle are all the rest of us -- try to stay with classics and bring in touches of the trends  - like curtains or pillows, paint etc that don't break the bank, but make the house feel updated. I doubt there are many of us who can afford to cater to every passing trend.

Honored Contributor

@Perkup wrote:

I've read the same things recently. Stainless steel is going away, as are those awful granite counter tops with so much color.  People are more interested now in black applliances, counter tops that don't show a lot of color. Neutral flooring.  I've never been a fan of windows with no covering.  I like soft colors, but definite shades - not pastels for my walls.  Looks like things are beginning to come back to my preferences.  Yeah!!

I think a lot of folks are preferring quartz over granite these days. Personally, I love the quartz that looks exactly like marble, & if I put in new counters that would be my choice.

Honored Contributor

I have no curtains anywhere in my house.  I put in plantation shutters about 20 years ago, and I LOVE them!  They are the wide ones, they are white and the trim around them is nice, plus we have great views so they frame those nicely.  They are great for light control as well, because out big windows on the back face west.  

Drapes, curtains, toppers--all dust magnents!  They are also a pain to take down and wash or take to the cleaners.  I am lazy. . . LOL!!!

Stainless appliances--I don't see them being completely out beause there are so few alternatives.  Black, white, beige?  I don't see people buying colored appliances either, so I'm thinking maybe stainess trimmed out more with brass or copper than we've seen.  There is a lot of room for something like that in knobs, door handles, etc.  Wouldn't you like a nice sleek ss fridge with some brass or copper nameplates, trim around the ice machine or door handles?  I know I WOULD!

Respected Contributor

I have a contemporary style home (read cathedral ceilings in LR & MBR, no crown molding anywhere, some odd wall angles, etc.), and it just doesn't lend itself to "color" on the walls, so it's been some shade of off-white for 30 years since we built it. All trim is very simple, dark-stained wood. We have lots of privacy on 4 acres and most of the house is at least 6 feet off the ground, so no curtains anywhere (exceptions: Curtains on deck slider doors, roll blinds on both kitchen windows--they are lower with decks off of them, and I just feel more secure if I'm alone at night if those windows are covered).

My wood floors are a lighter stain, and I like them that way. They don't show a lot of dust/dirt/cat hair! Carpets are colorful, but will be replaced with something neutral when the time comes.

We just did the kitchen 3 years ago, and I absolutely love my grantie countertops with lots of random pattern in black, bordeaux, brown, gold, white on a creamy background! They are actually very neutral and go with pretty much accent color I want to use. I will always only ever have white appliances...to me, they are classic! I have bronze/copper cabinet hardware and faucet. Bathrooms have brushed nickel fixtures. Ceiling fans everywhere!

Honored Contributor

Holy cow! How many years have these "experts" been saying that stainless steel is going out. Woman Frustrated

"Pure Michigan"
Honored Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

I have no curtains anywhere in my house.  I put in plantation shutters about 20 years ago, and I LOVE them!  They are the wide ones, they are white and the trim around them is nice, plus we have great views so they frame those nicely.  They are great for light control as well, because out big windows on the back face west.  

Drapes, curtains, toppers--all dust magnents!  They are also a pain to take down and wash or take to the cleaners.  I am lazy. . . LOL!!!

Stainless appliances--I don't see them being completely out beause there are so few alternatives.  Black, white, beige?  I don't see people buying colored appliances either, so I'm thinking maybe stainess trimmed out more with brass or copper than we've seen.  There is a lot of room for something like that in knobs, door handles, etc.  Wouldn't you like a nice sleek ss fridge with some brass or copper nameplates, trim around the ice machine or door handles?  I know I WOULD!

@Sooner I agree with you. I love plantation shutters!  And I detest curtains/drapes/whatever you call them.

Honored Contributor

@ID2 wrote:

Holy cow! How many years have these "experts" been saying that stainless steel is going out. Woman Frustrated

They are hoping and praying it goes out because if it does there are many who will replace their entire SS kitchen with whatever is current as soon as one appliance breaks down. I have always stayed wirth the standard white kitchen because all my entire career hospital kitchens have had SS appliances and black granite counters - to me those two things scream HOSPITAL KITCHEN to me and I'll never have either in my home.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Mj12 wrote:

@Sooner wrote:

@Sooner I agree with you. I love plantation shutters!  And I detest curtains/drapes/whatever you call them.

I currently have shutters on all my windows because I live in Fl. and they are best for light control, but if I lived up north I would still have lined curtains because they help with keeping the home warm. No matter how good windows you have they are never 100% - esp. as they age.