Honored Contributor

Re: Trends that are going out in home decor

I don't understand this "in/out" idea. Why did everyone have to have those horrible harvest colored appliances a few decades back & why did everyone have to get stainless steel, and why does everyone need to get whatever some designers decide on now? Why not just get what you like?

Esteemed Contributor

While I like the new slate or black metallic appliances, I put them on par with those red and teal blue washers and dryers that were being featured several years ago.  You know--here today, gone tomorrow.

I love stainless.  Tell someone who has invested in Viking, Dacor, Miele, Subzero or Liebherr that their appliances are out of style--I doubt they would give a flying fig.  😁

Respected Contributor

@SilleeMee

We have a shore rental property that has a stainless steel kitchen sink.  When the summer is over, I use BarKeeper's Friend cleanser on it:  looks like new without a lot of elbow grease and no " milky residue ".   HTH

We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give.
Sir Winston Churchill
Honored Contributor

@jlkz,

Yes! I love Barkeepers Friend. It's the best on ss and you're right about the residue...none!Woman Very Happy I like to use my Scrub mommy/daddy sponges with it and the shine it leaves behind can't be beat. Woman Happy

Esteemed Contributor

@jlkz, where would I find barkeepers friend?  TIA.

Respected Contributor

@Lilysmom wrote:

@jlkz, where would I find barkeepers friend?  TIA.

@Lilysmom:  You can find it at Amazon, Home Depot, Walmart, Lowes, Williams Sonoma and their own website.  Love my Amazon prime.

Esteemed Contributor

@Hoovermom, thank you!  LM

Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

@jlkz,

Yes! I love Barkeepers Friend. It's the best on ss and you're right about the residue...none!Woman Very Happy I like to use my Scrub mommy/daddy sponges with it and the shine it leaves behind can't be beat. Woman Happy

This stuff is the best, I have turned so many people on to it! We purchase ours at Bed, Bath and Beyond.........It is excellent! 

Honored Contributor

I never thought about decor trends!   I've always decorated in style, color, fabrics that I like in my current apartment, and in the houses I owned in past  years.

I like a lot of black in my decor, I have curtains on all my windows.  

Respected Contributor

I have had white appliances for more than 13 years when everyone was getting stainless steel. It would be par for the course that just when I am ready to update, my purchase will be outdated soon. As for all the dark wood floors, I don't get it! They will show every water spot and dust. I still love my medium oak wood cabinets and floor. I will hang on while longer hoping to not be off trend too badly. How does one pick a designer to help with updating and renovations???