Respected Contributor

Is there something, preferably rubberized, that I can place over my front door handle which faces west?  Live in Big D and the other day I actually burned my palm.  Had to place it in the freezer over a frozen bag of veggies to ease the pain.

I went online and even found what I thought was the solution; wrote the seller and have not heard back.

Any suggestions?  We are experiencing triple digit temps.  

If your face brightens when you meet a friend, you have struck gold. - unknown
Honored Contributor

Could you maybe hang a silicone potholder on the doorknob?    I live in PHX and have similar problems.........like getting into the car............

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Esteemed Contributor

Try an ear muff over it.....lol... But I guess wherre you are you probably do not have ,"ear muff's)  They do sell door knob covers. Try Amazon ,they sell everything.

Honored Contributor

@pommom,

I have knobs on my doors and I put these on them. Won't work for lever-style. 

These are perfect for people who have trouble gripping door knobs, like me. I have severe arthritis in my hands and these have saved the day. They are made of silicone so they will not get hot. Available in most hardware stores or amazon.

SILICONE DOOR KNOB COVER

41QD1EQQCAL.jpg

Honored Contributor

As a quick fix, you can use an oven mitt.  I'd go to a home improvement store to find a long term fix.

Trusted Contributor

Holy smoke, literally!!  

Got to wear your oven mitt to open the doors???

On a serious note, youngsters are getting burned on slides at the park, I've seen on the news.Woman Sad

Trusted Contributor

We have the same problem with the front of our house facing west. The sun BEATS UP on that side of the house in summer.

We ending up hanging a rollup sunshade in front of the door area. These days it's been kept rolled almost all the way down and we sorta duck under it to get to the door.

But not only has it help the hot door handle problem it also helps keep the the house cooler.

For the rest of the year it stays rolled up. Honestly - one of the best improvements my hubby ever did!

Respected Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

@pommom,

I have knobs on my doors and I put these on them. Won't work for lever-style. 

These are perfect for people who have trouble gripping door knobs, like me. I have severe arthritis in my hands and these have saved the day. They are made of silicone so they will not get hot. Available in most hardware stores or amazon.

SILICONE DOOR KNOB COVER

41QD1EQQCAL.jpg

They have something for almost everything.  Glad you found something that works and helps!

Respected Contributor

Thanks, all. Great suggestions.  Will go back to Amazon and, if need be, visit my neighborhood hardware store.

If your face brightens when you meet a friend, you have struck gold. - unknown
Trusted Contributor

My front door faces west and it sits in a little foyer. I had it screened in a while after I moved in, but the sun still blazed in that area.

I discovered they make dark sun screen and had it rescreened using that type of screen.

What a difference it made! It literally cuts the sun in half. I also had the regular window screens made with that material.

Hope you find a cool solution to your problem!