Honored Contributor

@ALRATIBA wrote:

I moved from a 4 bedroom 2 bath house into a one bedroom, one bath apt.  This is about as small a I'm going!

We stay in about 400 sq ft in the summer - it is large enough to be comforatble but if we had to live full time here we would need a shed outside as big as a house for all DH's stuff and all my kitchen stuff, and we'd need an addition for our clothes because at home we each have a full walk in closet.  yeah, this would definitely not work for us as a primary home.

Respected Contributor

Re: Tiny Houses, anyone?

[ Edited ]

I just downsized to 2600 sf and I'm overwhelmed by what I have left in boxes lol. I know I have to get rid of some more things, but boy is it hard. I would only want to use a tiny house as a weekend getaway. I'd go crazy!

Had to edit. In reality, I wouldn't even want to spend a weekend in a tiny house. 

Spoiler

Oh my goodness. There's no spoiler. How do I delete this silly thing?  I need my glasses. I thought I was going to use the smiley face from here instead of my iPad for once. Lol. 

Trusted Contributor

I was surprised at how expensive some of them are. If I was much younger and in great health I would like to have a go at living off grid....LOL.

Respected Contributor

Reba055, I love your line about the "spoiler." I can so relate!

Honored Contributor

@Goldengate8361 wrote:

I would NEVER consider living in a tiny house. I, for one, am baffled by this trend. I live alone (with cats) in a 3,000 sq foot house and I think it's just about right for me. I think it's a fad that will pass....(just my humble opinion). 🙂

I agree!!  I too like space.

Esteemed Contributor

Love them, but houses are so cheap now to me they are not saving any money.

Respected Contributor

Re: Tiny Houses, anyone?

[ Edited ]

I love the concept and superb use of space demonstrated on those shows, not that I could live in one. We downsized to 3600 sf in this house. And we use all of it. What I never hear explained is how electrical and plumbing are hooked up when you move the house and, MORE important, where can you put that small a house? Most communities, including rural counties, have laws that require a minimum square footage for homes. I know of no place that would allow a dwelling that small. 

Respected Contributor

@castlenv wrote:

I don't understand the concept of that show.  Why not just buy a nice RV most of which are so well designed and reasonably priced?  I would also like to see a follow up to these shows especially the one where they had 3 kids and were living in a tiny house of about 300 sq. ft.  Are they kidding???

The tiny houses I gave seen in the show are much nicer than RVs. I am referring to taste level, choice of natural materials, etc.

Esteemed Contributor
There was one show where I thought the tiny house made sense. The couple I can't remember if they had kids bought a big plot of land. They were going to put a tiny house on it. But the purpose was to save money then they were going to build their dream house on that land.
Honored Contributor

@libbyannE wrote:

@castlenv wrote:

I don't understand the concept of that show.  Why not just buy a nice RV most of which are so well designed and reasonably priced?  I would also like to see a follow up to these shows especially the one where they had 3 kids and were living in a tiny house of about 300 sq. ft.  Are they kidding???

The tiny houses I gave seen in the show are much nicer than RVs. I am referring to taste level, choice of natural materials, etc.

Clearly, you haven't seen many RVs.