Respected Contributor

As I've been hit with this respiratory ailment, again ( had bronchitis in August for two weeks!) I was in bed all day yesterday. I caught a Tiny House marathon. I think some of them are quite nice and space is thoughtfully prepared. Others, well, I'm not living there so...  I think it's a neat idea! Anyone else ever think about "down sizing" into a new type of "mobile home"

Never underestimate the power of kindness.
Respected Contributor

I live in as tiny as a house as I want to, 1100 sq feet. I like the show though but those houses are so tiny that they give me some anxiety. I guess I know how hard it is to actually like in a small living space. 

Honored Contributor

Re: Tiny Houses, anyone?

[ Edited ]

I watch the show and I like how creative the designers are with the space.  But I could never go that small.  First. there are two of us and as much as I love hubby, we need some space between us.  We'd be divorced within a year if we had to live on top of  each other in a mini house.  One might work as weekend or vacation home.  Maybe....

Super Contributor

My husband is 6'4 and very claustrophobic- Not a chance!

Honored Contributor

IMO - they are NOT a good choice. They are much too expensive, way too heavy for those who want to move them around , and the interiors are not well planned. Look at plans for camping trailers and motorhomes and you'll see much better use of space, prettier interiors etc plus they have important mechanicals like fridge & water heaters   that runs on both electric & gas, furniture that serves multiple purposes and just much better space planning.  Also tanks to hold fresh water and waste water until it can be emptied into appropriate waste water facilities. Also most campers have back up battery power if you don't have electric for some light or maybe an emergency radio. If you switch the water heater and fridge to gas - you already have a gas stove - if you have candles or hurricane lanterns you could go a pretty long time without electric in a camper. Just all in all a camper is a much better use of money. 3 years ago we bought a mid price 400sq ft(42 ft long with 3 slide outs) camping trailer. We were able to custom design - with the assisitance of the Hy Line designer - our interior to suit our needs as each one is custom made, and we are very comfortable in our home away from home - not at all cramped - all medium tone cherry interior just very very nice and it was only $45,000. I see on those tiny home shows people pay that much for 100sq ft. and very basic living conditions.

Respected Contributor

Re: Tiny Houses, anyone?

[ Edited ]

I lived in a 650 sq ft 1 bedroom in San Diego for 3 years, a Sears original craftsman - built in secretary desk and a closet where there used to be a Murphy bed - it was lovely - easy to clean and you are outdoors most of the time in that lovely weather.  When I moved back to Indiana, my sister told me "buy a large house because if you don't you will be stir crazy in the winter".  I bought a 2800 sq foot 3 level home.  I rarely use the loft bedroom (except for guests).  I do use the walkout basement in the summer instead of living upstairs because it is 20 degrees cooler.  It is hard to heat though with three levels.  If I could afford it I would definitely downsize to a space half this size.  But I love my home and 3/4 acre - it's my little piece of heaven. 

Regular Contributor

I enjoy watching those shows, but often wonder how you change sheets in some of those lofts with no or very little space around the mattress.  It must be a challenge.  I'm claustrophobic, so I couldn't sleep in those lofts with very little head room.  I think I'll stick to my 1300 sq ft house, the closets are already small, so I can't imagine trying to keep my stuff in a cubby hole they call a closet.

Respected Contributor

I would not like a house that big either. It is nice to have just 1 level especially as we age. 

Esteemed Contributor

I would NEVER consider living in a tiny house. I, for one, am baffled by this trend. I live alone (with cats) in a 3,000 sq foot house and I think it's just about right for me. I think it's a fad that will pass....(just my humble opinion). 🙂

Honored Contributor

I don't understand the concept of that show.  Why not just buy a nice RV most of which are so well designed and reasonably priced?  I would also like to see a follow up to these shows especially the one where they had 3 kids and were living in a tiny house of about 300 sq. ft.  Are they kidding???