Honored Contributor

Re: This is a test, it's only a test.

@scotnovel wrote:

Sounds like you are being a little over- controlling.  To expect someone, even a spouse, to follow  a specific system of picking a towel from the closet seems excessive to me.  Not trying to be mean, but  there are so many other important things to focus on without being upset or creating an issue over which towel someone pulled from the shelf. 

I can see both sides of this.

On one hand, op may want to be sure things are rotated for the purpose of not wearing out just the few pieces used over and over, and it keeps all the towels more freshly laundered and not just sitting in the closet. There may be good towels for guests etc. that she doesn't want used for regular daily use, as well.

I know at my house, there is the problem of really dirty guys, who I don't want using the high dollar towels or light colored ones because of their jobs, and the amount of grease and oils they have to clean off themselves.

I also agree that people are more important that towels, and my solution is to only put at their disposal, those I wish them to use. We don't use the towels (good ones) in the linen closet, but I keep the ones I want them to use in the bathroom cabinets, and make sure it is kept full so they just grab from there. They never need to get in the linen closet, and my better towels are 'safe'!

Honored Contributor

@Q4u wrote:

I thought I heard it all when a friend of mine only folded her towels a certain way before she stacked them in her linen closet according to color....

Now I do have to fold them in thirds in order for the stacks to fit my small linen closet, and I do tend to stack according to color, but since my colors are cream, brown and tan it really doesn't matter.... as far as rotation ..... LOL.... if they get into the closet without any of the ends hanging out the door.... I'm happy!

DH and sons can take whatever towels they want to use, I'm just grateful they bathe.... j/k.... but no, I don't worry about rotation.  When the towels start looked shabby, they go into my "rag and old towels" cabinet.

I tend to be neat and orderly but I also don't see the point in regimenting the system.....

I colorize not only my linen closet, but my clothes closet as well. 

I probably need therapy.

Honored Contributor

@151949 wrote:

OMG I have no thoughts about how I cycle the towels. i take them off the top of the pile. When i do laundry I put the wahed ones right on top. If you are sitting around worrying about how to recycle towels you seriously need to find something productive to do.Volunteer - get a PT job.Challenge yourself with something worthwhile.

A little harsh, don't you think? The purpose of organization and methods is so you don't HAVE to think about it. It becomes as natural and simple as doing it the 'other' way.

There is nothing odd about rotating anything in one's home from food to linens to underwear, to beauty products. Everything has a life span, and rotating things makes sure they don't rot (linens will do that), get age stains from sitting for years unused, and extends the life of things.

Honored Contributor

@circles wrote:

@bear wrote:

Yikes.. this sounds like some things my husband would do.  I am betting that the OP also does a whole lot of other organizational things that are also what the majority would consider needless. My husband has been diagnosed with ocd, albiet a mild form.  He arranges my spices in alphabetical order, has certain areas where he wants things in the fridge, etc.  It drives me crazy, but I still love him to bits.  

Speaking of alphabetical order.....I worked in a grocery store before I retired...we had a customer who would unload her basket alphabetically and that is the way we had to ring her up...if she seen a "C" product get ahead of a "B" product she would rush and grab it before I could reach for it...lol...Took a long time to finish her up as she always had a large basket of food...

Her husband and son would be at the end of my register bagging her stuff alphabetically....

I went part time and I didn't see them any longer...must have shopped when I wasn't there or shopped elsewhere...

Want to add they were very nice people...freindly..funny...just different....

@circles You are a gem!

You don't see that kind of respect and acceptance in retail today. 

People have their quirks, and I'm sure you made their day by not being a big grump about it. 

Honored Contributor

No fancy system in our house.  Each person has their color of towels and washcloths and we don't wash them after one use.  As long as you grab the right color, you are good to go.

Honored Contributor

@Mominohio wrote:

@151949 wrote:

OMG I have no thoughts about how I cycle the towels. i take them off the top of the pile. When i do laundry I put the wahed ones right on top. If you are sitting around worrying about how to recycle towels you seriously need to find something productive to do.Volunteer - get a PT job.Challenge yourself with something worthwhile.

A little harsh, don't you think? The purpose of organization and methods is so you don't HAVE to think about it. It becomes as natural and simple as doing it the 'other' way.

There is nothing odd about rotating anything in one's home from food to linens to underwear, to beauty products. Everything has a life span, and rotating things makes sure they don't rot (linens will do that), get age stains from sitting for years unused, and extends the life of things.

Maybe if you don't have so much excess of things like linens and towels they will just naturally be used. How many sets of towels does any person or family actually NEED ?

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@151949 wrote:

@Mominohio wrote:

@151949 wrote:

Maybe if you don't have so much excess of things like linens and towels they will just naturally be used. How many sets of towels does any person or family actually NEED ?

Why is it up to me or you to determine what anyone else 'needs' in the category of towels (or any other things)?

I'd say people need what they can afford, what they are willing to deal with, store, care for, use, and makes them happy. Some may think two towels per person in the house is enough, some may think 20. 

As long as they aren't on an episode of "Hoarders", then it's all good.

Regular Contributor

It's my husband and I in the house. I wash the towels and put them back on the towel holder in the bathroom. The guest room has a stack of identical hand towels underneath the sink because they get used the most. They are used in any order.  If our towels get stained or torn, I donate them to the local animal shelter and buy a new set. I already have more than enough towels that I use as rags. I don't need to buy new towels very often. I'm usually in the mood for a different color long before they get worn out or stained. In that event, I donate them to our local charity. 

Honored Contributor

Since we're talking towels, I will say that I prefer older towels, those made in the 1970's and 1980's.

Today's towels just don't feel the same to me. They aren't as absorbent, and certainly don't last as long. 

I have quite a few Fieldcrest and Cannons that are of a tighter weave (for lack of a better description) and they just don't wear out for years and years. 

I actively seek vintage towels at thrifts and auctions, and don't buy new anymore.

Valued Contributor

@Mominohio wrote:

@151949 wrote:

@Mominohio wrote:

@151949 wrote:

Why is it up to me or you to determine what anyone else 'needs' in the category of towels (or any other things)?

I'd say people need what they can afford, what they are willing to deal with, store, care for, use, and makes them happy. Some may think two towels per person in the house is enough, some may think 20. 

As long as they aren't on an episode of "Hoarders", then it's all good.

EXCELLENT RESPONSE!