Honored Contributor

Re: Themed Christmas tree or lifetime collection of ornaments?

I've always made my own ornaments and have had a Victorian tree for over 20 years. Each year (since I now have a much larger tree than I had) I make several more to add to it. I use baby's breath to accentuate the other ornaments.

Honored Contributor

On 12/9/2014 Pook said:

I've always made my own ornaments and have had a Victorian tree for over 20 years. Each year (since I now have a much larger tree than I had) I make several more to add to it. I use baby's breath to accentuate the other ornaments.

This sounds beautiful. My mom has a Victorian feel to her decor, so I can imagine how lovely this would look.

Contributor

I have a very mis matched tree! We have ornaments from both my husband's and my childhood trees along with 45 years of collecting and making ornaments. We always bought or made a new one for each of our children while they were growing up. When each left home they each had a box of ornaments as a beginning of their collections.
Frequent Contributor

I went thru a couple of phases.....colored lights and toy ornies.......just lights on the tree, no ornies........for a time, navy blue ornies, red bows and pearl garland....now.......I am white lights and red bows. I truly love that simple look......smiling.

Trusted Contributor

I have a few trees.

I have my Radko tree...right now I am working on the gold-green-red owl tree...I also have a small tree in my kitchen that has a fruit theme (Radko ornies). I have a peppermint tree upstairs and a small gold tabletop tree in our bedroom.

Valued Contributor

When our boys were young we had a hodgepodge of ornaments, many were made as "family time projects". As they got older I was able to begin to theme the trees to my own taste. Now I do only theme trees since I gave the boys a chance to help themselves to old ornaments. Frankly, they could have cared less and their trees were done by the wives.

I do a fruit theme in the family room, not just the tree, but the mantle and mirror and cabinets, etc. Lots of beaded fruits and berries.

Last year I donated everything from my peach colored livingroom tree and went all out with a white and silver tree. Rather than ornaments, I have white silk hydrangias and poinsettias covering almost whole tree, and drippy silver things cascading down. I borrowed Lisa's idea of using white feather boas and ordered 50 online from a party supply vendor. Those boas really worked well in the tree, down the staircase, over the vitrine, and anywhere I could add them to my garlands. Lots of white satin ribbons and a collection of old lamp crystals from my MIL and everything looks like we had a blizzard in the living/dining rooms!

I love the faux candles from Luminaria with timers, so the batteries cost as much as the electric bill! My kitties collect the feathers that migrate from the boas. I guess Lisa doesn't have that issue, but it is kind of cute to see them carrying feathers around as if they were fresh from attacking a poor turkey.

Frequent Contributor

Holding on to as many old ornaments as I can while building new things my husband and I enjoy. We lost the angel tree topper when we moved last year so I was able to find a vinage angel tree topper that is beautiful. Very renaissance looking with small gems and the angel holding a harp.

Esteemed Contributor

My ornaments are from years past and in excellent condition. I collected the Margaret Furlong nature ornaments, not the angels and they go well with however I theme or used color in my trees. Now I have cats. Can't put up a tree and they won't move away anytime soon or at all.

Never Forget the Native American Indian Holocaust
Regular Contributor

Mine is a collection of memories. What I have started doing in the past few years is putting pictures of all the grandchildren taken during the year on th tree. Found in in AC Moore craft store clear plastic photo balls(have also seen in drug stores at get photo center). Also at Target and Staples found lamenting sheets for photos. It's very easy.Then when finished I take a hole punched and carefully place the holes as not to ruin the photo. Use ribbon or decorative cord to hang. Another idea -I have also placed photos of my children at different ages and of my husband and myself. It a trip down memory lane.
Super Contributor

Lifetime collection. I have done themed, but I think I enjoy the ornaments with memories more.this is the first year we have had an artificial tree. I love that no one has to put lights on and it has so many. Also larger than any real tree we have ever purchased. 51 years of real trees that smelled great, but looked dead by Christmas was enough.