Respected Contributor

The importance of documentation

If you've read my threads this Summer, you know we have been upgrading our kitchen.  It is not necessary to this post to go into detail; however, I do want to caution anyone who is involved in costly repairs, rennovations or working with contractors to keep detailed records throughout the process.  

Until recently, my DH did not understand why I insist on communicating via Email instead of phone calls.  Black and white documentation.  

It paid off this time to the sum of  $1,200.

Strive for respect instead of attention. It lasts longer.
Valued Contributor

Re: The importance of documentation

@IamMrsG wrote:

If you've read my threads this Summer, you know we have been upgrading our kitchen.  It is not necessary to this post to go into detail; however, I do want to caution anyone who is involved in costly repairs, rennovations or working with contractors to keep detailed records throughout the process.  

Until recently, my DH did not understand why I insist on communicating via Email instead of phone calls.  Black and white documentation.  

It paid off this time to the sum of  $1,200.

This is a great reminder and very good advice. Thanks!

Honored Contributor

You are 100% right, keeping documents of conversations, transactions and costs are imperative.  We did this with our former house we started remodeling back in 2008.  We had a new kitchen put in, all new flooring, everything painted or stained, appliances, etc.  

It makes a huge difference when you go to sell your house as well.... we could "show" the potential new owners everything we did.  Same could be said for repairs to the home.  We had water damage right before we sold and had it repaired and kept all the documentation.

New owners were thrilled (we redacted any personal credit card info that might have been on the paperwork).....

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Esteemed Contributor

@IamMrsG, I couldn't agree more.  We did a custom build for our retirement home.  We used a reputable contractor, one of the largest in our area.  I communicated the results of each major decision by email and was able to put the onus right back on the contractor several times as a result of those emails.  Pays to be thorough.  Good for you!  LM

Honored Contributor

I think documation is needed now a days for many things. Be thorough, names, dates, everything. Truer words were never spoken!!!

Esteemed Contributor

In the legal world it's known as 'a meeting of the minds'....

Honored Contributor

This is a very good reminder. My mom had a deck built this summer and the contractor was not in our area, so we conversed repeatedly by email for clarifications etc. Glad we did. So far no trouble, but I like that we have that paper trail.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I recall that many years ago we were two of the investors who invested with an advisor.  His claim was that if the IRS denies this, "I will refund your money."  I asked him if he would put that in writing and he did.  A year or so later, with the letter in hand our attorney contacted his atty. and we were refunded $10,000.  We didn't have to file a lawsuit.  The letter was enough proof.

None of the other investors were refunded their money.

Get everything in writing!!!!