Respected Contributor

The U.S.' priciest house for sale Built by owner-developer Bruce Makowsky

http://www.latimes.com/business/realestate/hot-property/la-fi-hp-250-million-house-20170118-story.ht...

Los Angeles is now home to the most expensive house for sale in the country: a $250-million mega-mansion. 

The Bel-Air mansion includes 7 staffers and a helicopter. It’s got four levels, 38,000 square feet of interiors, 12 bedrooms, 21 bathrooms, three kitchens, an infinity pool with a swim-up bar, a bowling alley, a candy room and a movie theater.

To entice a billionaire buyer, and to set it apart from the other exorbitant homes for sale in the area, the property also comes with a $30-million car collection, 130 art installations, custom luxury furnishings and a decommissioned helicopter parked on the roof.

The home was built by owner-developer Bruce Makowsky “on spec,” meaning it was designed and developed without a buyer lined up.

Respected Contributor

Re: The U.S.' priciest house for sale Built by owner-developer Bruce Makowsky

I wonder how much it would cost to have the decommissioned helicopter removed from the roof as it is of no use.  The interiors are decorated like the house is intended as a hotel.  Who would ever want this?

Honored Contributor

Hope he gets stuck with it. LOL!!! Stuff like this makes me sick. No reason for someone to live like that IMO. Even if I was the richest person in the world I would not live like that. Nothing like a bunch of rich stuck up snobs.

Honored Contributor

Wow! That is some house! Even if I could afford it, I would never want a home that big, too much waste for me, but I would love to have a tour of it......Bruce Makowsky huh? Interesting! 

Esteemed Contributor

Some may envy the outrageous luxury of this house, which seems more like a luxury hotel than a home. I find it disgustingly gluttonous, not just over-the-top. There is a point after which excess becomes horrendous, a parody of wealth. I have nothing against earning great incomes but there comes a point at which the ostentatious excesses of wealth become an insult to humanity.

Esteemed Contributor

The problem with a house this size for me is that there are so many places for the killer to hide. 

Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.
JFK
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

It makes my head hurt.  Looks like a movie theater married a hotel lobby and gave birth to a shopping mall arcade.  The only saving grace is the decommissioned helicopter on the roof because shouldn't everyone have one?  Woman Surprised

~The only difference between this place and the Titanic is that the Titanic had a band.~
Respected Contributor

The quarter-billion-dollar question is: Who will buy it?

Nine-figure price tags are accessible to only a handful of local residents and a small market outside of that. As of 2015, there were 585 billionaires in the U.S., according to the research firm Wealth-X, and about 2,500 worldwide.

“The air is very thin at this segment of the market,” said Paul Habibi, a professor of real estate at UCLA. Habibi doesn’t expect the buyer to come from the old-money crowd.

“Anybody who has had money for a long time knows better than to spend it on a $250-million house,” he said.  Ain't that the truth!! Smiley LOL

Honored Contributor

@Vivian Florimond wrote:

Some may envy the outrageous luxury of this house, which seems more like a luxury hotel than a home. I find it disgustingly gluttonous, not just over-the-top. There is a point after which excess becomes horrendous, a parody of wealth. I have nothing against earning great incomes but there comes a point at which the ostentatious excesses of wealth become an insult to humanity.

@Vivian

While I could easily second everything you say I hesitate to do so simply because who really defines excessive. 

I mean, this is so over the top...to us in our reality and the painful reality that much of the third world lives in. But I think we tread on dangerous territory when we dismiss things as excessive (even when we tend to agree that they are) and somehow imply that there should be limits to how someone who legitimately and legally earns their money should be allowed to use it or display their wealth. 

So I'm not disagreeing with you, but I am cautious to think about whether or not I have any business thinking it let alone saying so. 

After all, every time welfare and other entitlement issues come up, and what people do with "their" money when they live on the government (taxpayers who actually pay the bill for their living) do with it or how they spend it, we are told over and over it isn't our business, or why would we deny them etc. 

At least in this instance, someone buying this or living this extreme would be (should be!) earning that money and it really should be even less of our business.

I get that so many starving children in (fill in the blank) could be helped with that excess, but it really isn't my place to say what someone else does with wealth they accumulate legitimately. If I don't like it, I guess my only protest is to not contribute to their income (say see their movie or support their sport by buying tickets, or endorsed products)

Esteemed Contributor

Wow!

Wait till 151949 reads this! She's always upset with how much other ppl have to spend & how thrifty she is by comparison.