Honored Contributor

Depending on where you live, spring is just really coming in full force, or has been with you for awhile, but it is the season for most of us to get the outside of our houses and yards all cleaned up and spiffy!

I've been working outside this week, doing the normal yard work, weeding, Preening, mowing, planting the vegetable garden etc. when I noticed some stuff that was driving me nuts.

The gutters, even though power washed occasionally, are just so dirty and unsightly, so a scrubbing they got. My porch lights were dirty and nasty, so down they came for a good scrubbing and cleaning of the glass. 

It seems like the more I look at the outside of my house, the more things I can find to do. Living in the country, with a pond and lots of woods, is much dirtier than anyone would suspect. The cobwebs and bugs create more mess than a classroom full of toddlers! And keeping up with it can get distressing sometimes.

Anyone else a little overwhelmed by getting the outside in shape this year?

Esteemed Contributor

I think I feel exhausted just thinking about everything that needs attention. We started a few years ago to attack the core chores in sections. I have allergies and breathing issues so it's really difficult to stay outside for the length of time required to get any one chore completely done. That said, it drives me crazy for something to look incomplete. We have a tone of tress around us and our lot is irrecgular and hilly. I had gardens (flowers and veggies) erverywhere. I eleimated a few of the gardens and put in stone with a birdbath or fountain. I'm still working on that project so that primary gardens are in the front, side and patio. I have a ton of transplanting and pruning that needs to happen soon or I fear that it will be too late.

I found a new type of gutter screen last fall and they are a keeper. We have very little over flow on the gutters during the storms so gutter cleaning is back to normal. I power wash the siding twice a year or more depending on the pollen. I do have some painting this year but until everything is clean I refuse to buy paint and have it sit in the garage.

I have the same situation with the inside of the house. I'm finally getting to those home projects that I've been putting off for longer than I will admit. I started peeling wallpaper from the guest room walls. It's a real chore because it's coming off in tiny pieces. I'm doing that one panel at a time and then I leave it and go one to another project. Eventually, it will be a nicely painted room. I really want to see that before the leaves fall. I have my fingers crossed.  

Honored Contributor

Hire professionals to do the dirty work.  Tend to your vegatable gardens yourself.

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Esteemed Contributor

Re: That time of year!

[ Edited ]

Like you, we live in the woods.  Between the leaves, pollen branches and other unidentifiable messes, it's a constant work in progress.

And, it is Bug City all year long.  The cob webs and pollen are enough to keep me busy for a week.  Not to mention cleaning the light fixtures, fans, porch railing and on and on an on.

We also have a large wrap around porch that I would scrub every year, but DH isn't up for it.  Outdoor furniture needs to have all the pollen blown off -- cushions too.  I figure people who have perfectly clean porches do NOT live in the woods or they have someone cleaning them!

It is overwhelming.  Therefore, I just don't do it all!  I agree, I would hire others to do it, but...decided that it wasn't necessary to have everything sparkling all the time.  I bust out my lightweight, electric leaf blower and, poof, everything looks decent in about 15 minutes!

We run a small B&B, so we do keep the yard up as best we can, but most times, it is a quick run through and surface cleaning. 

I've just given up having it spotless all the time.  Cannot be done.  I find myself getting anxious and sad when it gets out of control, but I just take a deep breath and let it go.

My mom used to wash our windows twice a year!  Not gonna tell you the last time mine were washed.

Seriously, just do a bit each day and don't stress over it.  We won't tell if it's not perfectWoman LOL

Honored Contributor

@Mz iMac wrote:

Hire professionals to do the dirty work.  Tend to your vegatable gardens yourself.

I could never afford to pay someone to do all the work both inside and out that I do. I really can't afford to pay for even part of it. 

The older I get, the more I'd like to, only because it is more physically challenging for me, not because I don't like to do it, though.

Honored Contributor

@Mominohio,

I readily admit to being OCD, and needing to have things a certain way around my house, but as long as the toilet paper rolls over, and my towels are hung a certain way, I'm good.   

My husband cleans the gutters and pressure washes everything twice a year.   Our property is fully illuminated by dusk to dawn lights, so the porch lights and garage lights are rarely turned on.   Unless a robin is trying to build a nest on the lights, I never think about how dirty they might be.   

I retired determined to enjoy living my life; not be consumed by my house.   Spiffy doesn't even come to mind with my spring and summer preparations!

I'm sure your home is lovely and inviting based on all the spring cleaning you've done inside and out, but I hope you take time to sit back, relax, and enjoy it all, instead of looking for more things to clean.   Life is too short to worry about all that.    

Honored Contributor

@RedTop wrote:

@Mominohio,

I readily admit to being OCD, and needing to have things a certain way around my house, but as long as the toilet paper rolls over, and my towels are hung a certain way, I'm good.   

My husband cleans the gutters and pressure washes everything twice a year.   Our property is fully illuminated by dusk to dawn lights, so the porch lights and garage lights are rarely turned on.   Unless a robin is trying to build a nest on the lights, I never think about how dirty they might be.   

I retired determined to enjoy living my life; not be consumed by my house.   Spiffy doesn't even come to mind with my spring and summer preparations!

I'm sure your home is lovely and inviting based on all the spring cleaning you've done inside and out, but I hope you take time to sit back, relax, and enjoy it all, instead of looking for more things to clean.   Life is too short to worry about all that.    

Thanks @RedTop

I just spent some time this afternoon sitting on by sparkling clean back deck, soaking up some much needed Vitamin D!

All that work is definitely meant to be enjoyed, and I try to take time out each day to enjoy the fruits of my labor.

The stress (physical these days) of the work isn't nearly as bad as seeing it undone, for myself and many others. I actually love to clean, decorate and create my home environment, inside and out. Just has to be broken down in to smaller increments each year!

Esteemed Contributor

I know exactly what you mean and struggle to keep up with all I have to do.  What remains undone plays over and over again in my mind -- isn't that just crazy?!

My heart sings when everything is in order and clean and I go back to admire my work again and again.

However, I simply cannot do all I used to do no matter how hard I try.

The important thing is we still find pleasure in doing what we can and enjoy the fruits of our labor!

Honored Contributor

@Witchy Woman wrote:

Like you, we live in the woods.  Between the leaves, pollen branches and other unidentifiable messes, it's a constant work in progress.

And, it is Bug City all year long.  The cob webs and pollen are enough to keep me busy for a week.  Not to mention cleaning the light fixtures, fans, porch railing and on and on an on.

We also have a large wrap around porch that I would scrub every year, but DH isn't up for it.  Outdoor furniture needs to have all the pollen blown off -- cushions too.  I figure people who have perfectly clean porches do NOT live in the woods or they have someone cleaning them!

It is overwhelming.  Therefore, I just don't do it all!  I agree, I would hire others to do it, but...decided that it wasn't necessary to have everything sparkling all the time.  I bust out my lightweight, electric leaf blower and, poof, everything looks decent in about 15 minutes!

We run a small B&B, so we do keep the yard up as best we can, but most times, it is a quick run through and surface cleaning. 

I've just given up having it spotless all the time.  Cannot be done.  I find myself getting anxious and sad when it gets out of control, but I just take a deep breath and let it go.

My mom used to wash our windows twice a year!  Not gonna tell you the last time mine were washed.

Seriously, just do a bit each day and don't stress over it.  We won't tell if it's not perfectWoman LOL

I don't live in the woods but I do live lakeside. To keep our work at a minimum on our huge porches we never leave our furniture out for the winter, they are stored in our garages. In the Spring we just give everything a quick power wash and we're good to go for another Summer!

"Pure Michigan"
Respected Contributor

Re: That time of year!

[ Edited ]

After a winter with little snow, just the work disposing of the dead rose canes is overwhelming.  I have more than a dozen roses.  One large rambler died even though it was more than hardy enough for the climate.  The snow acts as an insulator against the coldest temperatures.  Without that, there's a lot of dead wood to prune.  There's one gigantic rose with huge thorns that needs to be tackled this weekend.  Then I'm going to try to plant a vegetable garden, maybe with blueberry bushes.