Honored Contributor

Re: Suggestions on keeping sheets/towels fresh in linen closet

@redbird wrote:

I tuck a few bars of fresh smelling soap in my linen closet. That seems to keep things fresh and nice.

This is what I do. I understand the smell the OP is talking about. It isn't musty really, but kind of just not fresh or stale. 

We use, and love the smell of Dove bar soap, and I keep that in my linen closet. It makes the sheets and towels coming out of there smell just slightly of clean soap, a scent I like.

Honored Contributor

I like the idea of putting bars of soap in the closet @Mominohio. I was just looking at some Yardley English Lavender bar soap. I love the smell of lavender on my bed sheets.

download.jpg

Respected Contributor

I do know that a baseball urban legend is to put a bar of soap between your bed sheets at the bottom to prevent leg cramps. I wonder if you use a scented soap like Yardley, it would give you a fresh smell when you fluffed the sheets? I can see using it like a sachet to scent your linens.
Esteemed Contributor

@nanny24

You did not state on which floor of your house the closet is located.  That would really help.

The reason I ask is that we live in an extremely damp part of the US: the Pacific Northwest.  Specifically, we live in a one level townhome, which has a good size crawl space underneath it.  As my husband is the Head of Maintenace for the HOA for our 100 townhomes, it is his "job" to know who is having what kind of moisture issues.  When it comes down to something like the problem you're having, in our area invariably it comes down to water having collected under the house or a pipe or pipes having sprung a leak, thereby leaving quite a large area extremely damp.  The damp can leach up into the house.  The HOA, in our case, has taken the bull by the horn in an attempt to prevent as much rain water and melted snow as possible from entering crawl space access ports, by having our 2 maintenace guys pour concrete dams around the access openings, but still providing enough room for access.  In the case of pipe leaks, this occurs more often than we'd all like to think and is the responsibility of the homeowner, but is actually repaired quickly.  The damage to wood, floors, etc., not so quick to repair nor as inexpensive as having a plumber out for 2 hours in our neck of the woods.

Good luck.

Honored Contributor

I would attack the overall problem with a dehumidifier, as well as add deep scents like cedar oil, soap, dryer sheets, etc.   

Super Contributor

Thank you for all the responses. There is no water leaking in my closet, and we do run AC, so humidity is not the problem, either. I really think it is air flow, as a few suggested.

Valued Contributor

I have started storing rarely used clean linens in some type of bag to keep them from taking on stale odors.  Doesn't matter what I did they didn't retain that "fresh clean" smell until I started storing them in bags.  Not tightly closed just loosely stored even in a plastic grocery bag helped.

Honored Contributor

living in FL the humidity is always here🙄

I came home from a extended vacation & whoa did my master walk-in closet smell not only "musty" but like "old smelly shoes"!  I was perplexed as I had not noticed this before & this closet also serves as my linen closet.

My neighbor told me - never close louvre doors completely.  She also told me since I had solid doors I should use product Damp Rid.  Oh my, I did and was surprised the amount of "moisture" in this closet (bag was filled with water quickly).

I also had all my folding closet doors replaced with open slat style doors so air can circulate - so far I've not had anymore smells but I still use Damp Rid in the closet.  Strangely, I don't have the musty odor in my guest room closets - maybe because it's not near a bathroom.

Honored Contributor

@nanny24,     Use sachets that are filled with lavender  or if you don't want to be fancy, use dryer sheets between sheets and pillowcases, etc.

kindness is strength
Honored Contributor

I love using the Downy Unstoppable pellets when I wash. I throw in just a few and my laundry stays nice and fresh smelling! 

"Pure Michigan"